06-23-2010, 01:43 PM
|
#1
|
|
|
Earthquake
Was anybody else in range of that? I know Fungusman felt it cause he just pm'd me this photo lol:
I dont know how broad a range earthquakes have, but I've never seen one before, maybe when I was a kid. Anyway that one was huge!!! (for the ottawa area anyway) Apparently it was a 5.5 magnitude, and the cats are freakin.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
06-23-2010, 02:03 PM
|
#2
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
Whoa, good thing you're Ok SC.
If the cats all suddenly jump out of the window I suggest you follow them {carefully} out - animals can sense things we no longer can, and are in that way able to warn you when bad things are about to happen.
It's like when a tornado is about to hit, all the bugs, birds, and animals suddenly disappear into hiding places and are nowhere to be seen - that's when you know you're in trouble and should take shelter yourself.
Was there any damage to buildings or anything, other than the usual small cracks along the edges of the walls?
Vancouver gets a small tremor once in a while, and it always makes me think of the San Andreas fault.
{is it the BIG ONE, that's supposed to crack the continent neatly off at the British Columbia/ Alberta line and we'll all go to the bottom of the ocean? Vancouver Island is toast for certain in that scenario. People in Washington, California, and Texas may be in danger too, if the earthquake is given permission to enter the U.S.}
Last edited by RU Joe; 06-23-2010 at 02:04 PM..
Reason: bolding, spacing
|
My Signature |
|
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
 Your new nightmare XXVII:
 
06-23-2010, 02:19 PM
|
#4
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails
|
 you got jokes!
|
My Signature |
|
06-23-2010, 03:30 PM
|
#6
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
I felt it. I was on my bed with my laptop and was freaked out. I thought it migth have been an earthquake but wasn't sure. My sister didn't know what was going but thought it was fun.
|
My Signature |
|
06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
|
#7
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
@Yasly: I don't need you to tell people how I felt about the earthquake
|
|
|
06-23-2010, 03:57 PM
|
#8
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
She could have said worse.
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
06-23-2010, 05:18 PM
|
#9
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
It wasn't really fun for us, it was scarry, it just kept growing and getting more violent, it lasted like 30 seconds.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
06-23-2010, 05:20 PM
|
#10
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
My friend told me his grandma got it in NYC.
|
My Signature |
|
06-23-2010, 05:27 PM
|
#11
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
If that's the case, Tenser may have felt it.
I sure didn't here on Long Island.
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
06-23-2010, 07:38 PM
|
#13
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
Broken, Tenser.
BTW, it appears it reached Ohio, West Chester felt it.
|
My Signature |
|
06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
|
#14
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
What time did it hit?
|
|
|
06-23-2010, 09:05 PM
|
#19
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
Supposedly it could be felt in my neck of the woods but I didn't notice anything while at work.
|
My Signature |
|
06-23-2010, 09:35 PM
|
#20
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGrotowski
I think it has something to do with the displacement of the oil from that damn BP well that's leaking - this is my theory - that the empty space underground is somehow affecting the continental plate.
I've heard the theory before that the oil is what lubricates and smooths out the plates' natural movement which can be several centimeters a year.
{speaking of the entire continent as a whole}
If that's true then the lack of lubricant could be giving us a rough ride, if you take my meaning.
|
Plate Tectonics is more complicated than that.
Isn't the fault near the great lakes?
How could the oil affect it from th gulf?
And the oil would have to travel thosands of feet downward
through solid bed rock and cover hundreds of miles across.
Explosives do more damage to fault lines and still don't
trigger any earthquakes.
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
06-23-2010, 11:00 PM
|
#21
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
Quote:
Originally Posted by samejamesbond
Plate Tectonics is more complicated than that.
Isn't the fault near the great lakes?
How could the oil affect it from th gulf?
And the oil would have to travel thosands of feet downward
through solid bed rock and cover hundreds of miles across.
Explosives do more damage to fault lines and still don't
trigger any earthquakes.
|
I agree that plate tectonics probably do have a lot more to them, but what if it really is like that theory I mentioned? {which isn't my theory, just something I heard once} - We may discover something new here, that's all I'm thinking.
'They' say 'we' are making new scientific discoveries regularly and that makes me think that perhaps 'we' may have something to learn by this.
One thing I would like to point out regarding the possible well/ quake connection is the fact that oil is generally quite light and of lesser density than water which makes it possible that it may be able to flow through minute cracks and crevasses water generally couldn't, making its movement through the ground more unpredictable.
Given the volume of oil present in the ground, who really knows just how far such a great mass of liquid could travel?
Speaking of unpredictability, I'm thinking about that big sinkhole that 'suddenly appeared' in the middle of a downtown intersection in Guatamala:
Guatemala Sinkhole 2010 (VIDEO) – Guatemala Crater Swallows Building
I know that the sinkhole formed from heavy rains in the region, but my point is that I don't think 'we' know exactly how the Earth works yet, and that unexpected, unpredicted things do happen.
The well looks like it's right at a weak point in the continent, in my opinion. 
|
My Signature |
|
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
 Your new nightmare XXVII:
 
06-23-2010, 11:38 PM
|
#22
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozman3000
 you got jokes!
|
Not really. He just thinks anyone with a beard looks like me. I look nothing like Earthquake. I do look very similar to this wrestler though-

Bruiser Brody. There's other pics of him but this one literally looks like it's a pic of me that got mislabeled as Bruiser Brody.
@JG- Thanks for the beard back up, you da man.  I think your theory about the oil could turn out to be true. It seems logical that removing tons and tons of a liquid substance would leave air pockets that would eventually cause these kind of problems. Taking something out of the ground has to leave some empty space which will eventually change the surface features.
Btw, the Guatemala city sinkhole isn't actually a sinkhole.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Wiki
This hole, which is classified by geologists as either a "piping feature" or "piping pseudokarst" and incorrectly referred to as a " sinkhole" by the popular press, was 100 m (330 ft) deep, and apparently was created by fluid from a sewer eroding uncemented volcanic ash and other pyroclastic deposits underlying Guatemala City
|
So it was partially caused by the storms but it seems the main cause is a antiquated sewer system that caused a similar hole in 2007.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Wiki again
Initially, a process called "soil piping" created large underground voids as water from leaking water mains flowed through these volcanic deposits and initially washed fine volcanic materials out of them and then progressively eroded and removed coarser materials. Eventually, these underground voids became large enough such that their roofs collapsed to create large holes in 2007 and 2010
|
That part seems to give credibility to the theory JG shared with us. Sounds reasonable to me.
|
My Signature |
|
06-24-2010, 12:11 PM
|
#23
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
That explains sinkholes, not earthquakes.
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
06-24-2010, 04:14 PM
|
#24
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
SJB, if the supporting material {dirt, clay, and rock} is removed from below the foundation of a building I think it's within the realm of possibilities that the building will collapse, having lost the physical support required to keep it standing.
{I'm not trying to be a smarty - pants, so bear with me, I'm going somewhere with that.}
Based on that I suggest that it's possible that we're seeing this same effect with the displacement of so much oil underground, on a scale of many times the magnitude of the sinkhole example, but since we're talking about underground displacement of the foundation supporting very large pieces of land instead of a building, I think there's way more to it.
There's also very low frequency vibration.
Low frequencies have very long wavelengths and require tremendous power to generate, considering the comparatively small effect gained in return.
{speaking of conventional audio applications}
ON a continental scale, these waves could be large enough to cause tremors if large pieces of freely moving material within the continent itself were to rub against each other {like if there were suddenly a large empty pocket underground where there was none before.}
The forces generated by a simple rock slide generate enough low frequency vibration {waves} to dislodge even more material {this is called liquification} from the surrounding area it is sliding down, usually a mountain, creating a cascade effect.
This scenario played itself out here in British Columbia back in 1965 near the town of Hope:
The Hope Slide - Canada's Largest Rock Slide | The Nature Animals
Like the article says, it was the Earthquake that triggered that slide in this case, but those low frequency energy waves I am describing are what continued distributing the original energy of the tremor and crumbled the side of the mountain, and that is the magnitude of the power present in the Earth's internal movements as well; it's these vibrations that are the key and in this case the newly formed void in the Earth right at the 'weak point' is what I think we're seeing now.
Last edited by RU Joe; 06-24-2010 at 04:15 PM..
Reason: smarty pants
|
My Signature |
|
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
 Your new nightmare XXVII:
 
06-25-2010, 03:25 AM
|
#25
|
|
|
Re: Earthquake
Well apparently this earthquake was no ordinary earthquake. I forget now, but it didn't occur in the same manner as the normally do.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
Similar Threads
|
| Thread |
Thread Starter |
Forum |
Replies |
Last Post |
|
Earthquake = Dudebro?
|
Tails |
Chat |
21 |
01-09-2009 02:03 AM |
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.
|