| All Other Games Talk about video games we don't have online. |
|
03-01-2010, 09:16 PM
|
#1
|
|
|
Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Excerpt:
Quote:
Even the most hard-core gamers are sounding the alarm about the rise in the number of satanically-themed video games that target God and Christianity, invite players to make pacts with the devil, and elevate Satan to hero status.
“This has been going on for the last 10 years, but especially in the most recent games,” said Lance Christian, 32, of Alton, Illinois who has been an avid gamer for most of his life.
For instance, in one game, players kill the Archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael before going on to destroy God. Another game requires players to sell their soul to the devil and rewards them for “killing unbaptized infants.”
All of these games seem to have one central theme - God is the enemy and the devil is the hero. And they do nothing to hide it. One game guide glibly states: “The Judeo-Christian God is portrayed as the prominent villain in the series . . . “
“This is just the tip of the iceberg in what I have discovered,” Mr. Christian said. “I feel that the devil has a new tool to work with in this age of technology, and the majority of adults in a position of responsibility are left in the dark.”
|
Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents - The Philadelphia Bulletin Archives
|
My Signature |
|
03-01-2010, 09:40 PM
|
#2
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
03-02-2010, 05:50 PM
|
#3
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
They are just video games.
And to my understanding, it's okay for games to positively portray Christianity, but not to negatively portray it.
It seems a little hypocritical if you ask me.
|
|
|
03-02-2010, 07:24 PM
|
#4
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Quote:
|
It seems a little hypocritical if you ask me.
|
Only a little?
This is nothing new from the religious nut jobs of the world. If they don't like games with evil stuff in them they should not buy them and pay attention to what games their kids borrow or download. They should have no right to trample on games I may enjoy just because it offends their invisible man in the sky. Maybe if they actually used some critical thinking they'd stop making themselves look like fools. Most of the games they mentioned I've never even heard of. I'm sure they're just dumb games with evil themes that cater to the "I'm so dark and evil" crowd. I doubt they many kids are playing these games, it's more likely that these people searched for examples to fit their propaganda.
Other games on the list are laughable at best-
Dragon’s Age Origins- An rpg about a land of magic and dragons? Why should it follow the biblical god(btw wasn't he violent and spiteful?)? Arrogance and ignorance if you ask me.
Dante’s Inferno- Um, this is loosely based on the book. I have never played it or read the book but from what I do know of it there's no sympathy for the devil. I'm willing to bet Dante is there to kill all the hellspawn and eventually Satan. Oh I forgot, we aren't supposed to even mention the devil without cowering in fear and repenting.
Guitar Hero- Do I even need to explain how retarded this one is? I wish they mentioned what made them add this but as usual they are cowards and they resort to weasel words and lack of information to make their case. I'm assuming it's because it has songs they don't approve of like Sympathy for the Devil.
Now before anyone jumps on me for making assumptions I have a story to back that up. I met an old guy who was buying Band Hero because it's considered family friendly. When I asked why it mattered he told me his super religious daughter "caught" her kids playing Guitar Hero(specifically Sympathy for the Devil) and she flipped out, unplugged everything and threw it out. Obviously I was very unimpressed and I felt bad for those kids having to live with that lunatic.
These religious people need to wake up and realize that these games won't influence their kids. Strict control of every aspect of their lives will do far more damage and possibly push them to satanism out of spite.
|
My Signature |
|
03-02-2010, 07:33 PM
|
#5
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Quote form the article...
"It is difficult to find a role playing game that is not [rated] ‘T’"
Really? Because I can think of a few off the top of my head, specifically Pokemon, which, by the way, when it came out in America, caused controversey with the church.
Oh, and don't even get me started on Guitar Hero being satanic. If anything, it is anti-satanic, because in GH3, you defeat the devil.
|
My Signature |
|
03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
|
#6
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Quote:
|
If anything, it is anti-satanic, because in GH3, you defeat the devil.
|
Yeah this was my first thought too. I figured they couldn't be that stupid so I went with the song content.
|
My Signature |
|
03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
|
#7
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Yeah, according to the church, if a song in the game is called "The Number of the Beast" that automatically makes it satanic.
|
My Signature |
|
03-02-2010, 07:44 PM
|
#8
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
This is nothing new from the religious nut jobs of the world. If they don't like games with evil stuff in them they should not buy them and pay attention to what games their kids borrow or download. They should have no right to trample on games I may enjoy just because it offends their invisible man in the sky. Maybe if they actually used some critical thinking they'd stop making themselves look like fools. Most of the games they mentioned I've never even heard of. I'm sure they're just dumb games with evil themes that cater to the "I'm so dark and evil" crowd. I doubt they many kids are playing these games, it's more likely that these people searched for examples to fit their propaganda.
Other games on the list are laughable at best-
Dragon’s Age Origins- An rpg about a land of magic and dragons? Why should it follow the biblical god(btw wasn't he violent and spiteful?)? Arrogance and ignorance if you ask me.
Dante’s Inferno- Um, this is loosely based on the book. I have never played it or read the book but from what I do know of it there's no sympathy for the devil. I'm willing to bet Dante is there to kill all the hellspawn and eventually Satan. Oh I forgot, we aren't supposed to even mention the devil without cowering in fear and repenting.
Guitar Hero- Do I even need to explain how retarded this one is? I wish they mentioned what made them add this but as usual they are cowards and they resort to weasel words and lack of information to make their case. I'm assuming it's because it has songs they don't approve of like Sympathy for the Devil.
Now before anyone jumps on me for making assumptions I have a story to back that up. I met an old guy who was buying Band Hero because it's considered family friendly. When I asked why it mattered he told me his super religious daughter "caught" her kids playing Guitar Hero(specifically Sympathy for the Devil) and she flipped out, unplugged everything and threw it out. Obviously I was very unimpressed and I felt bad for those kids having to live with that lunatic.
These religious people need to wake up and realize that these games won't influence their kids. Strict control of every aspect of their lives will do far more damage and possibly push them to satanism out of spite.
|
I agree with everything you said, surprisingly.
Well almost everything...
|
My Signature |
|
03-02-2010, 07:50 PM
|
#9
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawlmaster12344
Quote form the article...
"It is difficult to find a role playing game that is not [rated] ‘T’"
|
Rated T means for 13+ right? RPGs are large complex games with tons of dialog. The target audience is not 8.
|
My Signature |
|
03-02-2010, 07:58 PM
|
#10
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
did anyone notice that the name of the guy quoted in the article is "mr. christian"
|
|
|
03-02-2010, 08:17 PM
|
#11
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5cents
did anyone notice that the name of the guy quoted in the article is "mr. christian"
|
I did.
That name HAS to be fake.
|
My Signature |
|
03-02-2010, 08:22 PM
|
#12
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
The Old Testament is begging for God to be the bad guy anyway. Floods, famines, plagues, killing of every first born son, eviction from paradise + a curse on all future humans for the crime of knowledge. Of course in some stories that is going to make him look like the bad guy.
But I think DB's point is right, looks like they picked obscure games just to prove their point. All the games are either non-mainstream or stretching to be called satanic. Denying the fringe market the ability to play whatever they want would be censorship and religious persecution.
According to the Bible, there was a war in Heaven. God won, Lucifer lost. The winner, God, told us his side of the story. This is called Victor's History and Victor's History is rarely accurate. So what if someone wants to write a story from the other side. You still have your stories and beliefs. It doesn't hurt you to let people live their lives how ever they want.
|
My Signature |
|
03-02-2010, 08:30 PM
|
#13
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Good point Kong, while I'm not one for religion, what I've read of the Old Testament does make God seem like the bad guy.
@ DB: nice use of my favorite name for God "the invisible man in the sky"
|
|
|
03-02-2010, 08:42 PM
|
#14
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
I think that's the first time I ever +1'd a post of DB's.
|
My Signature |
|
03-02-2010, 08:44 PM
|
#15
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Yeah, and it will probably be the last, knowing you Tenser.
|
|
|
03-02-2010, 08:47 PM
|
#16
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser
I think that's the first time I ever +1'd a post of DB's.
|
There's always room for change.
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
03-02-2010, 08:53 PM
|
#17
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Mask
Yeah, and it will probably be the last, knowing you Tenser.
|
Yeah... 
|
My Signature |
|
03-03-2010, 01:17 AM
|
#18
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Wow I'm totally shocked at the reaction to my post. I fully expected some heated condemnations and righteous indignation
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Tenser
I agree with everything you said, surprisingly.
Well almost everything...
|
Would this be better?
Quote:
|
These religious people need to wake up and realize that these games won't influence their kids as much as they think.
|
After rereading it I see that I was being too absolute about it.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Kong
Rated T means for 13+ right? RPGs are large complex games with tons of dialog. The target audience is not 8.
|
Yeah in the US T for Teen means 13-16. I think younger kids can handle rpgs but something like Dragon Age or Mass Effect shouldn't be allowed anyways because it contains side quests where you can have sex with party members(if you get in a relationship with them). It's not graphic but you know what's going on.
Btw I find it funny that they didn't mention DA:O having sex scenes. It even has a bisexual elf who's more than willing to sleep with your character regardless of what gender you pick. This proves to me that they have no idea about the game and they're just grasping at straws.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by jim5cents
did anyone notice that the name of the guy quoted in the article is "mr. christian"
|
I noticed that too but I forgot to mention it in my rant(once I get going it's hard to stop  ) It might be legit but I have my doubts as well.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Demon-Mask
@ DB: nice use of my favorite name for God "the invisible man in the sky"
|
That wasn't the first name I went with. I had to go back and edit it for niceness sake.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Tenser
I think that's the first time I ever +1'd a post of DB's.
|
I highly doubt it.
|
My Signature |
|
03-03-2010, 02:11 AM
|
#19
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
+1 for Jesus Facepalm.
I am not religious.
Therefore, the concepts of 'God' and 'Satan' are Ok for use in video games and make for great material, in my opinion.
Funny - where are all the Satan worshipers who, if they are blindly devoted and forever bound to the powers of hell {from a Biblical point of view}, should be
OUTRAGED over this insult to their Dark Lord?

I'm just kidding, but it does make for a funny point of view.
Last edited by RU Joe; 03-03-2010 at 02:14 AM..
Reason: Additions
|
My Signature |
|
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
 Your new nightmare XXVII:
 
03-03-2010, 02:37 AM
|
#20
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
I think satanists would be happy to hear they got under the bible thumpers skins.
|
My Signature |
|
03-03-2010, 04:14 AM
|
#21
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
+1 db
|
My Signature |
|
03-05-2010, 08:29 AM
|
#22
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
I am one of the crazy people who see video games as a health thing. Im not only talking about the wii, but I fidn they are very therapeutic. Video games allow you to do, basically whatever the heck you want.. SOME games have consequences for bad behavior, but most.. eh, who gives crud? In many games its a Massive pain trying to DO something bad. After all, in most RPGs your allowed to rush around and rob people blind by stealing thier Treasure chest items. But that almsot never really cuts it for me. Im a very nice person but sometimes.. I just want to pick upa mini gun and RIP a couple hundred people a few new holes^^. ((EX state of emergency..)) HATE early mornign traffic? Pop in a copy of GTa or twisted metal.. Blow up that F-ing SUV who jsut cut you off. Take MY parking spot will ya! SUCK THIS! -launches rocket launcher-
Theres also Something incredibly satisfying.. about Falcon punching a jiggly puff..
"JIGGLYYYY!" -ding-
Now as for SATANIC things in video games. OFcourse they are there.. they should be.. however, many of the so called Satanic thigns are honest symbols of toher faiths.. view Satanic by only a few.

Nothign Satanic really about that is there?^ HEck even the reverse one isn't satanic, it just flips spirit to BODY. Which is also natural. Ofcourse,, beign an athiest I dont see anythign as SATANIC. because.. well.. I dont believe in Satan.
I suppose it all is up to what ever yur point of view is I suppose.. BUT I have one major thign to point out here.
Parent.s. Check out a game before just giving it to your kids. Pick up the box and look. Maybe your ten year old doesnt need doom 4. Sow aht if "all the other kids" have it. You a parent do your dam job. If your not a parent, then go away. No one is FORCING you to play or buy these games. Sorry about the Rant guys.. its jsut this Crud irritates me.
"My14 year odl found a SEX scene ina video game!"
-my reaction- Then dont let him play the game. Take the game back. Unless you were STUPID enough to let your child HACK your video game system.. Then well.. your toast.
|
My Signature |
|
PAL CODES: 3DS; Zach 3496-9421-4636
PSN, skype, facebook, and imvu im Belmontzar
systems; ps3 ps vita, 3ds, ds, comp when it works
03-05-2010, 03:03 PM
|
#23
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
I would like to say this on Christianity's behalf. First, nobody can say God is evil. I'm a big believer in that. All those things that Kong just listed are not in any way evil. Some of those things God did to punish evil men. As for banishment from paradise, that was all Adam and Eve's fault. God gave them a moral choice and they blew it. I may be Christian, but I firmly believe the only way we can avoid being offended is by not playing these games. I read the Bible frequently, and I can say this: don't try to feed this stuff to anyone else like me as far as Christianity goes. They'll ream you and hang you out to dry.
|
|
|
03-05-2010, 04:41 PM
|
#24
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
To me the Bible is just a story that got turned to religion.
A lot of "Satanic" symbolism turns out to be Pagan symbolism, but when the Catholic church decided to convert everyone (the crusades, the inquisition and other events) they began to demonize Pagan gods, symbols, and beliefs. Like Belmontzar's pentagram picture, it is seen as a sign of Satan, but is really a symbol of the natural state of the world and spirit. I know this from plenty of research I have done. Of course, some symbols really are Satanic, but mostly these symbols turn out to be Old Testament seals for demons like this one.
Of course I can judge this without any bias, as to me there is no God to offend, and no Satan to take me to Hell.
|
|
|
03-05-2010, 05:25 PM
|
#25
|
|
|
Re: Buyer Beware: Satanic-Themed Video Games Concern Parents
Either way, any credibilaty this article might have had was destroyed by the fact that they say Guitar Hero is satanic.
|
My Signature |
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.
|