| All Other Games Talk about video games we don't have online. |
|
05-13-2008, 09:08 PM
|
#1
|
|
|
Is PS1 Retro?
I was thinking about the old rayman, croc, and frogger games I used to play. They brang back some awesome memories. Would you consider them retro yet?
|
|
|
05-13-2008, 09:08 PM
|
#2
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
i would consider them retro just because of the shoddy 3d work that was back when they just started out with 3d... ahh good times
|
My Signature |
|
05-13-2008, 09:10 PM
|
#3
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
I don't think any 3d systems are retro.
the only systems i think are retro is SNES and backwards.
|
My Signature |
|
05-13-2008, 09:15 PM
|
#4
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
I think if something is 2 generations ago, it is oficially retro.
|
My Signature |
|
TMT Raps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
|

05-13-2008, 09:20 PM
|
#5
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
2 generations im thinking more like 10 - 15 years old...
wait that would mean im retro ;D
|
My Signature |
|
05-13-2008, 09:29 PM
|
#6
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
2 me i'd coneder it retro because i played it in my childhood, i consider anythin i played or came out in my childhood retro
|
My Signature |
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by count100
i like the fact that you have what looks like a unbeatable score trophy
|
 +  =<br />WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
|
#7
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrogaming
Quote:
|
Retrogaming is a pastime which is becoming increasingly popular where individuals play video games on vintage computers or vintage game consoles; although the idea of what constitutes a vintage or retro machine is one open to debate. Typically most retro gamers are interested in Atari 2600, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, and classic Game Boy games and consoles.
|
I think 32 bit is about the newest thing that can be called retro and even then it is pushing it.
|
My Signature |
|
05-14-2008, 12:52 AM
|
#8
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
PS1 is not retro.
|
My Signature |
|
Check out the Zed Discord; the only Zed-centric Discord in the world!
Or perhaps the Zed Twitter; the only Zed-centric Twitter in the world!
Or, hell, the Zed Twitch ; the only Zed-centric Twitch in the world!
05-14-2008, 10:18 AM
|
#9
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
You're not retro!
My only probelm with this: "Typically most retro gamers are interested in Atari 2600, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, and classic Game Boy games and consoles." is that the definition of retro is "a term used to describe the culture of the past. " So what is "retro" is constantly changing. 50 years from now the PS1 would have to be considered retro, right? But the question is, when does it cross the line from not retro to retro?
I think this whole question might have to do with how old you are. I mean, the thing was launched in 95, and 13 years ago seems pretty retro to me, because I am not that old. To all you old men, on the other hand, you may not find that to be that old at all.
So really, the question isn't "Is the PS1 retro?" it's more "Is the PS1 retro to you?"
|
My Signature |
|
TMT Raps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
|

05-14-2008, 10:47 AM
|
#10
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by TrakMastaTom
I think this whole question might have to do with how old you are. I mean, the thing was launched in 95, and 13 years ago seems pretty retro to me, because I am not that old. To all you old men, on the other hand, you may not find that to be that old at all.
So really, the question isn't "Is the PS1 retro?" it's more "Is the PS1 retro to you?"
|
I'm old and I consider it retro. I think 10 years after release is when it starts to become retro. Like people in the mid/late 90s would say "Meh, NES is so 80s". But yeah I agree, "Is it retro to you" is the better question.
|
My Signature |
|
05-14-2008, 01:33 PM
|
#11
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by TrakMastaTom
You're not retro!
|
Who ever said I was? To me, the PS1 is just not retro.
|
My Signature |
|
Check out the Zed Discord; the only Zed-centric Discord in the world!
Or perhaps the Zed Twitter; the only Zed-centric Twitter in the world!
Or, hell, the Zed Twitch ; the only Zed-centric Twitch in the world!
05-14-2008, 01:37 PM
|
#12
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by ninjatiamat
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by TrakMastaTom
You're not retro!
|
Who ever said I was? To me, the PS1 is just not retro.
|
same here.
and i do agree its based on oppinion.
|
My Signature |
|
05-14-2008, 03:45 PM
|
#13
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
IMO PS1 isn't retro mainly because of Sony's backwards compatabilty. The games are still viable. But to me, the Dreamcast, N64 and NeoGeo are retro. Also I feel that GG, GB and GBC are retro while GBA isn't quite there yet.
|
My Signature |
|
05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
|
#14
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
now that i look at it too me its kinda borderline..... it was made in 95, but they stop makeing games fot it like 4-6 years ago.... so when does "retro" come effect to a consle... when it started or when it stoped?
|
My Signature |
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by count100
i like the fact that you have what looks like a unbeatable score trophy
|
 +  =<br />WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
05-15-2008, 08:46 AM
|
#15
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
i would say the system its self is retro but you cant include all the games with it even though the system was made in 95 not all the games were i was just saying i think those games are retro (rayman, croc).
|
My Signature |
|
05-15-2008, 04:31 PM
|
#16
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Tenser
IMO PS1 isn't retro mainly because of Sony's backwards compatabilty. The games are still viable.
|
That's a good point.
|
My Signature |
|
TMT Raps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
|

09-08-2009, 04:49 AM
|
#17
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
If you can still go to a game store and buy them without a hard hunt, they are almost retro.
Personally My thoughts of Retro are Sega saturn and back..
N64 back for nintendo, BUt I agree that I grew up with the system.
Im recently turned 21 (As of the third of this month..)
I grew up in the rising age of video games, I remember playing on the Awesome intellevision and ataris systems. Thats part of why I love this site, as soon as Intelli is here, ill have Damn near all my old systems again. Even then when I find the thing ill pic up Intellevision Lives! for Ps2...
why? I dont know exactly, I just LOVE older games and newer games. I play dozens of older games, not just here but on My saturn in my room, I regularly play FF7, been a logn time and Istill cantKill the DAM weapon bosses..
-P.S If anyone remembers where the DAM underwater materia is, send me a Pm please @.@-
Im the gamer on some boards who still says to this day..
"graphics, story, and sound are no whats important for a game, A GAMe is supposed ot be fun, Even if it loks like $#*^ on a stick, if its fun thats all it needs. The rest of wha you guys call 'necessary' is really just extra."
Oh great now im ranting..
Well anyway, I made my point and opinion made..
Retro is Saturn and back..
give me my intelli..
...
WOO for sonic? 0.o
[sigh just one of those random weeks.. eh?]
|
My Signature |
|
PAL CODES: 3DS; Zach 3496-9421-4636
PSN, skype, facebook, and imvu im Belmontzar
systems; ps3 ps vita, 3ds, ds, comp when it works
09-08-2009, 12:43 PM
|
#18
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong
I think 32 bit is about the newest thing that can be called retro and even then it is pushing it.
|
i still dont understand, what are bits when you say, 8 bit or32 bit
|
My Signature |
|
09-08-2009, 01:26 PM
|
#19
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
Processor power is measured in binary bits. How many 1 and 0s the processor can turn on and off at once.
There has been 7 generations of video game consoles. The 3rd, 4th and 5th were charcterized by the bit power of their graphic and cpu cards.
1. Pong, Telstar
2. ColecoVision, Atari 2600
3. NES, SMS, Atari 7800, 8-bit, start of the bit war
4. SNES, Genesis, TG-16, Atari Lynx, 16-bit
5. N64, PS1, Jaguar, 3DO, Saturn, 32-bit, 64-Bit
6. Dreamcast, GameCube, PS2, Xbox, end of the bit war
7. Wii, PS3 Xbox 360
|
|
|
09-08-2009, 02:44 PM
|
#20
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmontzar
If you can still go to a game store and buy them without a hard hunt, they are almost retro.
Personally My thoughts of Retro are Sega saturn and back..
N64 back for nintendo, BUt I agree that I grew up with the system.
Im recently turned 21 (As of the third of this month..)
I grew up in the rising age of video games, I remember playing on the Awesome intellevision and ataris systems. Thats part of why I love this site, as soon as Intelli is here, ill have Damn near all my old systems again. Even then when I find the thing ill pic up Intellevision Lives! for Ps2...
why? I dont know exactly, I just LOVE older games and newer games. I play dozens of older games, not just here but on My saturn in my room, I regularly play FF7, been a logn time and Istill cantKill the DAM weapon bosses..
-P.S If anyone remembers where the DAM underwater materia is, send me a Pm please @.@-
Im the gamer on some boards who still says to this day..
"graphics, story, and sound are no whats important for a game, A GAMe is supposed ot be fun, Even if it loks like $#*^ on a stick, if its fun thats all it needs. The rest of wha you guys call 'necessary' is really just extra."
Oh great now im ranting..
Well anyway, I made my point and opinion made..
Retro is Saturn and back..
give me my intelli..
...
WOO for sonic? 0.o
[sigh just one of those random weeks.. eh?]
|
The Huge Materia should be to the south.
The Red Submarine sticks out, it isn't to hard to find.
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
09-08-2009, 08:20 PM
|
#21
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
id dont even think id consider gen/snes retro. for me retro is when you had to use your imagination and fill in the blanks, backed up by exellent gameplay of course
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
|
#22
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
Imo these are retro consoles that would be reat additions to the site:
N64, NeoGeo, PS1, GBC, and Saturn.
The Dreamcast could be considered Retro because of Sega's departure.
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
09-09-2009, 05:58 AM
|
#23
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
@Samejamesbond  ream cast, PS1, and Saturn though take too much memory and room to work righ on the site.. Keep in mind this all deals with On site programs that have to be usable over the internet.
N64 would be pushing it, GBC was here so it obviously works, but was removed as ts not Retro yet..
No idea what NEo Geo is so...
FF7 related: Teh red submarine.. I found that a long time ago.. Huge materia too the south?
...
well how do you get in the red submarine? I foudn it.. but cant get in.. I got in the plane.. but the red submarine is way hard.. for some reason...
|
My Signature |
|
PAL CODES: 3DS; Zach 3496-9421-4636
PSN, skype, facebook, and imvu im Belmontzar
systems; ps3 ps vita, 3ds, ds, comp when it works
09-09-2009, 07:19 AM
|
#24
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
Belmontzar:
I'd look up a strategy guide online or something. My brother played all the way through FF7, but that was a long time ago. I also have played a good bit through it, but do not recall anything about a red submarine...sorry 
|
|
|
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
|
#25
|
|
|
Re: Is PS1 Retro?
guys, he means the one that stops the timer in the emerald battle!
i think you morph a ghost ship (tunnel to underwater reactor) and give it to someone in kalm, but i cant guarantee thats it.
|
My Signature |
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.
|