Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Chat Whatever.
Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Am I the only one sick of this?

I'll try to avoid rambling about this but I have been wanting to ask this for awhile now.

Am I the only person sick of seeing games come out with overly sexual female main/support characters? Don't get me wrong, I prefer to see sexually attractive women. I'm just sick of the close to 90% nude female characters.
Maybe if a few games had these types of characters it wouldn't bother me but it seems like the norm now to have this.

My point in making this thread in this forum is to ask the target audience what they think.


1)When you buy/rent a video game does it help you decide to get it if you see/know there's a thong wearing woman in it?(thong is just one example)

2)If in fact you prefer games to have this type of character is it because you wanna be turned on by it? If no then why?

3)Do you think game companies are just running out of ideas so they slap some skin in there hoping for the lonely horny guy segment to make the purchase?

Feel free to comment on any part of this post but those three questions are my main concern.

Another thing, I'm not saying this is the only lame stereotype in games. I also hate the way most male characters are so emasculated.
Is it so bad to have a strong macho guy and a feminine woman who isn't half nude for no apparent reason?

Lastly, before anyone goes this route. I do have a girlfriend and I'm not an uptight religious person. I'm just Dudebro asking an honest question, hopefully I get some honest answers. Thanks for reading(to those of you who won't tl;dr).

~I posted this on another board first, since we need some new topics to discuss I felt this was a good place for it.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:28 AM   #2
RedGlory's Avatar
Regular Poster
12 posts
RedGlory is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
RedGlory

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Well, I've been in Blockbuster a couple of times, and when I see these games, I chuckle.

Games are meant to step out of your own reality for a little while. If sex is too far out that you have to simulate it, maybe you should put down the controller for a little while.

It makes me sad, because they ruin people's lives. If they have this sort of pleasure on the screen, why take the time to meet a girl?

=(
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Heh, you think you're cool.<br /><br />Leave.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Kong's Avatar
 
Kong

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

I am not the target demographic. I don't even know what new games are coming out. But I really doubt many people have decided to not try to get a girlfriend just because they can play games with hot girls like RedGlory suggested.

Has anyone seen the new Star Trek Enterprise? The show jumps at every possible excuse to get the hot Vulcan half nude (they also do it very often for the other characters, male and female). I think she is hot and don't mind seeing her half nude but come on! it destroys the suspension of disbelief. Which I think is super important. Games, movies, books etc are all supposed to let you easily pretend that they are real. If you can obviously see their poor marketing attempts every 10 seconds then how are you supposed to do that.

Now if it is a game like Leisure Suit Larry then I have no problem with it because they are being honest up front. Selling sex is their first goal. But Enterprise is just selling out and it ruins it.

Now if your target demographic is the 12 to 17 year old male then a half nude girl will probably help you sell games but that is not the only group that buys games. I wish all media would realize that other groups buy stuff too.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
tanc24's Avatar
Regular Poster
1,215 posts
tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats
 
tanc24

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong
Now if it is a game like Leisure Suit Larry then I have no problem with it because they are being honest up front.
Can I turn this thread into a video game request for ALL the Leisure Suit Larrys? Those games were great!


More on the topic, I think that these strong sexual overtones are simply another sad commentary on the state of our culture. Sex has become predominant in advertising, video games and just about any other form of media. It truly disgusts me, not because I'm a prude or anything, but because I have personally seen the damage that sepornography has caused in relationships.

It will probably never change, but I fear for the youth of the world. Nothing is sacred anymore.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Proud member of the GRUMPY OLD MEN!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
nesplayer2299's Avatar
Regular Poster
163 posts
nesplayer2299 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
nesplayer2299

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Dude, people who buy those games obviously have no lives. If they want girls, they should go outside. There they can meet real girls. The funny thing is is that I go to school with this kid Nobel who would buy tons of those games if he could, he is thirteen though so I guess that's the demographic. Dude I'm still in my Nintendo stage of gaming, should have grown out of it by now from what my friends say but real life gets boring. Who would want more of the same? We already see those posers Britney Spears and Lindsey Lohan half naked on tv on a daily basis. Well, the industry is getting pretty realistic. Well, I guess a gamer can dream for quality.

My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
I love the Powerglove...It's so Bad!<br /><br />
Old 11-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
TrakMastaTom's Avatar
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom
 
TrakMastaTom

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

That's the beauty of free enterprise. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it, and if no one buys it, it seizes to be produced.

Sometimes I play girls with half naked women in them. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. But gameplay always comes first. Those of us that feel this way must be in the minority, because they continue to make games like "The Guy Game".

My only advice I can give is if you don't like it, don't buy it.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
TMT Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:16 PM   #7
nesplayer2299's Avatar
Regular Poster
163 posts
nesplayer2299 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
nesplayer2299

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Well said, we all have freedom of choice no one forces us to buy certain games or music. We all have different tastes but I find it kind of funny that people would buy games with naked people in it. I think it is just because a change of tastes because gamers of the 80's and 90's are grown up now and maybe it is that younger people are joining the industry and they have those kind of interests. Before it was synthesizer music in games, now it's orchestrated material. The industry will always change and there is nothing really anymore except hope for the best. The industry has more freedom then it did before and I think they are just trying to see their limits and show people that adults can enjoy games to, if they like naked girls in games. Let's hope for the best though. Interesting post.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
I love the Powerglove...It's so Bad!<br /><br />
Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #8
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakMastaTom
That's the beauty of free enterprise. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it, and if no one buys it, it seizes to be produced.

Sometimes I play girls with half naked women in them. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. But gameplay always comes first. Those of us that feel this way must be in the minority, because they continue to make games like "The Guy Game".

My only advice I can give is if you don't like it, don't buy it.
This is the answer I keep hearing about this topic. My issue with that is what if the majority of games have these types of women? I play alot of games, I rent/buy more than I should. I see this all the time. Almost every female character is dressed sexy(slutty?). Personally I can't stand 99% of the women in video games. I'm just fed up with the whole sex sells (word that should not be on the site ). Of course sex sells but do we have to sacrifice normal female characters because some people can't deal with not being aroused every five minutes?

I'll admit it now, I consider myself a pervert when it comes to sex. But even I don't need to see pixelated sexuality everytime I choose a female character. This website rules by the way, the other forum I posted on mainly disagreed with me and someone even called me sexually repressed.

I'm starting to think I just needed to vent, glad you guys are so understanding.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
sabby's Avatar
 
sabby

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakMastaTom
Sometimes I play girls with half naked women in them.
Way to be playa!! So they have tattoos?

I guess I should put in my two cents. It is really sad that the youth of today have to get their "jollies" on a computer screen or TV monitor. Games now a days are steering more to glitzy graphics and going away from actual good game play. If it doesn't explode bigger, show more skin or bleed all over the place, game producers do not want to make it. I've had many conversations with people on this site about the state of gaming now compared with the games on this site, the games were harder then but they were more fun because of it. I still have notebooks full
of passwords for games. Those seemed to be a major accomplishment after you finished that level you have spent a couple weeks to pass.

Unfortunately, more and more kids are staying inside playing games instead of going outside and experiencing life. Get out there! Enjoy life!
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
The List of 111 games I've beaten on RU.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
Old School's Avatar
Regular Poster
38 posts
Old School is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
Old School

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Interesting thread good responses by all. What I think it really boils down to is age difference. Console games in the past never had any explicit content. These games were aimed espescially at underage people! Pc games on the other hand were played by adults. What parent in their right mind would let their kid's screw around with a 2,000$ to 3,000$ computer? Since computers have come down in price parents are less afraid to let their kids experiment on their PC.

I could be wrong, but now I think the lines are blurring between the two different mediums. That is why "sexuality" is more prevalent in games not only aimed at adults but also kids.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
nesplayer2299's Avatar
Regular Poster
163 posts
nesplayer2299 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
nesplayer2299

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Interesting thread good responses by all. What I think it really boils down to is age difference. Console games in the past never had any explicit content. These games were aimed espescially at underage people! Pc games on the other hand were played by adults. What parent in their right mind would let their kid's screw around with a 2,000$ to 3,000$ computer? Since computers have come down in price parents are less afraid to let their kids experiment on their PC.

I could be wrong, but now I think the lines are blurring between the two different mediums. That is why "sexuality" is more prevalent in games not only aimed at adults but also kids.
One word, Genius
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
I love the Powerglove...It's so Bad!<br /><br />
Old 11-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #12
mj23's Avatar
Regular Poster
966 posts
mj23 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to mj23 Send a message via MSN to mj23
 
mj23

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

i think not only sexual games but i hate games where you can overkill way too much
I mean like the new game manhunt 2 where you can cut off the peoples genitals and beat someones face in with their own arm.anyone agree with me that games on newer higher def systems are getting really sick
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #13
rambo's Avatar
Regular Poster
124 posts
rambo is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
rambo

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

I somewhat agree that the games are getting too sick, but a lot of the time its almost for comic purposes. Riping someones genitals off, thats just sick, but beating someone with their own arm.....teehee
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #14
TrakMastaTom's Avatar
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom
 
TrakMastaTom

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj23
i think not only sexual games but i hate games where you can overkill way too much
I mean like the new game manhunt 2 where you can cut off the peoples genitals and beat someones face in with their own arm.anyone agree with me that games on newer higher def systems are getting really sick
Sounds awesome to me...
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
TMT Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:39 PM   #15
Kugyince's Avatar
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Kugyince

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Its because the younger genereation of gamers can't handle mastering things like patience. God forbid a game be moderately difficult.

When you have a generation raised on instantaneous gratification, this tends to be its aftermath.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #16
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser
Its because the younger genereation of gamers can't handle mastering things like patience. God forbid a game be moderately difficult.

When you have a generation raised on instantaneous gratification, this tends to be its aftermath.
Very true. I can't think of a game I played recently that made me say "Wow that was hard". Besides Final Fantasy 11(but most MMOrpgs have thier moments). Although difficult isn't always needed, for instance games like animal crossing and sim city. Actually that reminds me, The Sims game is hard in my opinion. Can't get my family to get along with each other or be productive(guess its alot like real life).

I think part of the problem with seviolence/low difficulty is because Video games have become big business. Back when I was growing up games were considered to be a passing fad, my dad still tells me I'm gonna grow out of it! (yeah dad I'm almost 29 good luck with that.)
I think we're in a downward spiral at the moment, we're overdue for a video game renaissance and I honestly think the Wii is leading the way.

Thankfully we have this site so we can relive the good old days.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #17
Old School's Avatar
Regular Poster
38 posts
Old School is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
Old School

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

You seem like a smart cat. I'm also 29 and my folks told me the same thing. Games are a waste of time, this site shows them!!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #18
jeckel22's Avatar
Regular Poster
466 posts
jeckel22 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
jeckel22

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Games with difficulty are getting harder to come by. I think the main reason for it is this.....the easier a game is, the faster you wil beat it. The faster you beat a game, the faster you need a new one. Then you continually buy different games because a lot of games don't have a very high replay value. It just makes the companies more money. And as far as someone sexy on the cover....would you stare at a game that has some fat, middle-aged man (Tenser feel free to slide in a joke about brody) sitting in a recliner? Probably not. They want you to take a second look at it.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser
I'd be crabby too if you made me eat crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post

How much is that other government crap?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #19
sabby's Avatar
 
sabby

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel22
And as far as someone sexy on the cover....would you stare at a game that has some fat, middle-aged man (Tenser feel free to slide in a joke about brody) sitting in a recliner?
The more things change...the more things stay the same. Welcome back jeckel.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
The List of 111 games I've beaten on RU.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #20
jeckel22's Avatar
Regular Poster
466 posts
jeckel22 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
jeckel22

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Thanks...I will try to pop in every now and then to check what is up. I can't get on at all at work anymore (for some reason this site won't let me log in with a proxy). So I will stop by for a few minutes every now and then. I might try to play games every once and a while, but not very often.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser
I'd be crabby too if you made me eat crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post

How much is that other government crap?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #21
TrakMastaTom's Avatar
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom
 
TrakMastaTom

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser
Its because the younger genereation of gamers can't handle mastering things like patience. God forbid a game be moderately difficult.

When you have a generation raised on instantaneous gratification, this tends to be its aftermath.
Pretty good point. For me, I don't mind a challenge. One of my favorite newer games in Ninja Gaiden for Xbox, and that game is pretty tough. What makes me turn off a game is when I have to do the same thing over and over and I can't beat it.

So I think for me it's more a lack of save points. I hate playing a game for 15 minutes, dying, and having to start all over (unless it is an older game).
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
TMT Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 PM   #22
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel22
Games with difficulty are getting harder to come by. I think the main reason for it is this.....the easier a game is, the faster you wil beat it. The faster you beat a game, the faster you need a new one. Then you continually buy different games because a lot of games don't have a very high replay value. It just makes the companies more money. And as far as someone sexy on the cover....would you stare at a game that has some fat, middle-aged man (Tenser feel free to slide in a joke about brody) sitting in a recliner? Probably not. They want you to take a second look at it.
Yeah I hate the fact that game companies are trying to just line thier pockets instead of making quality games like they used to.(of course some old games sucked too). This way of thinking will only ruin the game industry and force them to play catch up with customers expectations.

About the fat middle aged guy on game covers, actually I'd take more of a look if it had that. It would be so different from the thong wearing, double D breasted super heroine that I would have to research it.
One of my favorite female characters is from Bloody Roar 1, Mitsuko;



Now she may be big upstairs but she's not the stereotypical girl either. She was a mother and quite butch. I guess most guys are just obsessed with sex to the point where they can't see women as anything else but sex objects to drool over. God I sound like a hippy huh? But really I thought we were past this, isn't this almost 2008? I'm not trying to insult any of you guys when I say these things, I'm just trying to express my frustration over this.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #23
Kong's Avatar
 
Kong

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

I use save points, walkthroughs and codes. But there was something more magical about games before you knew that those things even existed. The mere existence of saves and the Internet cheapens the game experience the same as quick and easy divorces cheapen marriage.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #24
nesplayer2299's Avatar
Regular Poster
163 posts
nesplayer2299 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
nesplayer2299

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

Yeah, those were the days. (sighs) I didn't even realize you could cheat in games until my family got our first computer and finally let me use the internet. I usually pass on codes and cheats though because it ruins the entire experience. Like there was nothing like discovering the warp whistles in Super Mario Bros. 3 all by yourself but when you cheat you don't feel any accomplishment or satisfaction and it ruins the game.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
I love the Powerglove...It's so Bad!<br /><br />
Old 11-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #25
jeckel22's Avatar
Regular Poster
466 posts
jeckel22 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
jeckel22

Re: Am I the only one sick of this?

I would typically try to beat the game and then go back with the cheats and walkthroughs and get everything in the game (like in Super Metroid and finding all of the power ups. Even though in supermetroid it was fun to try and see how little you could get and still beat the game. I don't remember what my lowest time or percentage was though. If anyone remembers theirs, post it here.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser
I'd be crabby too if you made me eat crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post

How much is that other government crap?
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
im sooo sick mj23 Chat 36 04-01-2009 08:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.

» vBadvanced CMPS