| Scoop This section contains interesting stories found on the web, mostly to do with retro gaming. |
|
09-15-2010, 05:36 PM
|
#1
|
|
|
Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
A list I'm sure Dudebro, Tenser, and Winnebagel will discuss for a while,
ScrewAttack put together a list of the top 20 hardest NES games, but what do
you think about this list?
[ame="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-10-screwattack/704480"]ScrewAttack Video Game, Top 10: Hardest NES Games | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com[/ame]
I'm glad Super C got in over Contra, and that newer NES game looks brutal, we
should add it.
So you guys think you can beat Battletoads coop without cheating on the NES?
Those prizes look nice.
Last edited by samejamesbond; 09-15-2010 at 06:00 PM..
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
|
#2
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
@WB & GG, did you hear the challenge in the last 30 seconds of vid?
|
My Signature |
|
09-16-2010, 02:00 PM
|
#3
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Wow, a list I can agree with!...
Except for two things.
1) Super C is not hard. Neither is Contra.
2) Hydlide is not on this list.
|
|
|
09-16-2010, 02:12 PM
|
#4
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Don't they mean Contra with no code for lives? Maybe that's easy for you guys but I need my 30 lives.
|
My Signature |
|
09-16-2010, 02:14 PM
|
#5
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Hydlide is broken.
I hope WB and GG take that challenge, they could totally win that contest.
Edit: I agree with you DB, but Super C is still tougher.
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
09-16-2010, 02:15 PM
|
#6
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
I don't remember Super C as a really hard game. It's been awhile but I just remember it being fun.
|
My Signature |
|
09-16-2010, 02:16 PM
|
#7
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong
@WB & GG, did you hear the challenge in the last 30 seconds of vid?
|
I just watched the video for the first time. That's funny, GG and I have beat it on NES somewhere around 8-10 times (with losing the usual mandatory continue when the game inexplicably kills player 2 for no reason on Clinger Winger) and 2-3 times on Genesis. I wonder if the challenge is still valid. That might be fun to do.
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
09-16-2010, 02:17 PM
|
#8
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
WB, it's been out for 2 days, you should try it.
Or at least check ScrewAttack.com
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
09-16-2010, 02:20 PM
|
#9
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by samejamesbond
Hydlide is broken.
|
Nyet.
D-Pad = Move
A = Attacking Stance
B = Magic
No broken controls here, just a romp through an impossible forest where everything in the world wants to kill you. They've probably never played it.
|
|
|
09-16-2010, 02:22 PM
|
#10
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk
.
2) Hydlide is not on this list.
|
I didn't find Hylide hard, just really tedious. If you take your time leveling up on the first screen it makes it much easier, but it takes a long time. 
|
|
|
09-16-2010, 02:24 PM
|
#11
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
The attacking is aweful in Hydlide, name one time you could actually attack an enemy without a
serious risk of getting hurt?
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
09-16-2010, 02:24 PM
|
#12
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by samejamesbond
WB, it's been out for 2 days, you should try it.
Or at least check ScrewAttack.com
|
We'll look into that. It might give us a good reason to plug our old NES into the Monolith. 
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
09-16-2010, 02:26 PM
|
#13
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
If you win, you have to show us the DVDs you won.
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
09-16-2010, 02:29 PM
|
#14
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by samejamesbond
If you win, you have to show us the DVDs you won.
|
Sure thing. If we can find the time to play at the same time and make a recording, we will definitely let you guys know.
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
09-16-2010, 02:31 PM
|
#15
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by samejamesbond
The attacking is aweful in Hydlide, name one time you could actually attack an enemy without a
serious risk of getting hurt?
|
Never. That's the point of attacking stance, duh =P. The final boss kills you instantly if you go at it in attack mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebagel
Sure thing. If we can find the time to play at the same time and make a recording, we will definitely let you guys know.
|
It would be hella good advertising for RetroUprising if you could pull that off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebagel
We'll look into that. It might give us a good reason to plug our old NES into the Monolith. 
|
You never put a picture of the Monolith in the "How Many games do you own?" thread....you promised  .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebagel
I'll try to get a picture of "The Monolith" before too long.
|
|
|
|
09-16-2010, 02:33 PM
|
#16
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk
You never put a picture of the Monolith in the "How Many games do you own?" thread....you promised  .
|
Sorry bro. I completely forgot about the thread. I'll try to get at least a basic shot this week. It's our main console gaming hub.
Last edited by Winnebagel; 09-16-2010 at 02:51 PM..
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
09-16-2010, 02:34 PM
|
#17
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by samejamesbond
The attacking is aweful in Hydlide, name one time you could actually attack an enemy without a
serious risk of getting hurt?
|
When attacking the enemy from behind you take no damage.
I'm not saying the game is great, (In fact it definitely sucks.) just that it isn't that hard once you get the hang of the controls and the best way to kill things.
|
|
|
09-16-2010, 02:35 PM
|
#18
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebagel
Sory bro. I completely forgot about the thread. I'll try to get at least a basic shot this week. It's our main console gaming hub.
|
I just thought of something, you can hold off on that picture, this weekend when I can get my own pictures I'll start a "Post your gaming setup" thread.
|
|
|
09-16-2010, 02:37 PM
|
#19
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk
It would be hella good advertising for RetroUprising if you could pull that off.
|
That's true, ScrewAttack is the most visited video game website.
I'd be great for RU.
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
09-16-2010, 02:55 PM
|
#20
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk
I just thought of something, you can hold off on that picture, this weekend when I can get my own pictures I'll start a "Post your gaming setup" thread.
|
Maybe we could post it both places.
---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk
It would be hella good advertising for RetroUprising if you could pull that off.
|
Maybe we could wear our EC masks, so as not to reveal our secret identities.
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
09-16-2010, 04:22 PM
|
#21
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
The challenge was issued 2 days ago.
You have to beat it in two player mode - I assume that means both of you have to be alive at the end.
You have to do it on a real NES.
You have to record it - convert it to digital - then upload to their site.
You have to be the first to do it.
You have to do it before their next top 10 list.
|
My Signature |
|
09-16-2010, 05:05 PM
|
#22
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong
The challenge was issued 2 days ago.
You have to beat it in two player mode - I assume that means both of you have to be alive at the end.
You have to do it on a real NES.
You have to record it - convert it to digital - then upload to their site.
You have to be the first to do it.
You have to do it before their next top 10 list.
|
Guru and I talked about it and we are going to try to give it a shot if we can get it together in time.
@ Kong and @ Seahawk: Check you PM's later. I have some questions for you guys. 
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
09-16-2010, 05:55 PM
|
#23
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
There are videos on you tube of people beating it already, I would say get on it asap, because there are probably lots of people going for it.
---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------
"Uh, Craig? Yeah, hi. I just wanted to inform you that BATTLETOADS IS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO BEAT ON CO-OP MODE. It's not because of difficulty, but because when you play co-op, there is a GAME BREAKING GLITCH. See, when you are on that Clinger Winger level, the one where you are escaping that giant vortex on wall-clinging bikes, the second player cannot possibly escape from the vortex. At all. It's not doable. It's a shame, too, which such an epic prize offered if somebody could have done it."
How do you get around this? Apparently the pal version does not have this glitch.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
09-16-2010, 05:58 PM
|
#24
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Email ScrewAttack.
|
My Signature |
|

Remove Pootis
09-16-2010, 07:31 PM
|
#25
|
|
|
Re: Screwattack: Top 10 Hardest NES Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13
There are videos on you tube of people beating it already, I would say get on it asap, because there are probably lots of people going for it.
---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------
"Uh, Craig? Yeah, hi. I just wanted to inform you that BATTLETOADS IS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO BEAT ON CO-OP MODE. It's not because of difficulty, but because when you play co-op, there is a GAME BREAKING GLITCH. See, when you are on that Clinger Winger level, the one where you are escaping that giant vortex on wall-clinging bikes, the second player cannot possibly escape from the vortex. At all. It's not doable. It's a shame, too, which such an epic prize offered if somebody could have done it."
How do you get around this? Apparently the pal version does not have this glitch.
|
Actually it is possible, but not possible to beat the Clinger Winger stage on 2-player. What happens is the glitch kills all of player 2's lives. Then if player 1 beats the stage, player 2 can rejoin and finish the rest of the game. The Genesis one did not have this glitch at all.
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.
|