| All Other Games Talk about video games we don't have online. |
|
10-08-2015, 02:15 AM
|
#1
|
|
|
Microsoft Hololens
http://youtube.com/watch?v=C3rNIxMlKmI
Thoughts? Awesome or another Kinect? ...and by God that price tag.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
10-08-2015, 06:28 PM
|
#2
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
$3,000 and the first quarter 2016 release date are both for the developers edition. Not the retail version.
Virtual Reality means everything you see is fantasy. Augmented reality is virtual overlays on top of true reality. There are pros and cons to both but if you want to play a video game then I think Virtual Reality has much more to offer.
Microsoft Hololens
It is glasses, not a screen. Similar to Google Glass. You can see through them. It is augmented reality, not virtual reality. You see holograms in your room, but you still see your room. This can be good are bad depending on what you are doing with it.
Release date: sometime before the release of Windows 11. It will be the last of these to be released.
Weight: 0.4 ounces.
Input: Kinect + optional gloves and wrist bands.
Optional backpack that plays deep bass for rumble feedback.
Windows 10 and Xbox only.
Comes with a built in computer so it is self contained or can be connected to a phone or computer.
The only VR device with Minecraft.
Biggest draw back, narrowest field of view. Moving can cause holograms to unexpectedly cut out of view.
I think they are focusing more on non-game uses. Skype, tech support, product modeling, office work.
Facebook's Oculus Rift
The headgear and controller is $200-300 but needs a high end gaming computer in the $1,000 range.
Supports both VR and AR.
It is not glasses, it's a screen that completely covers your eyes. There is an attached camera that can project an image of your real surroundings for AR or not for VR.
150 degree view. The largest of all of these.
Lightweight and comfortable.
Release date: First quarter 2016.
Inputs: Ships with an Xbox One controller. Later in the year they will release wristbands connected to a large cone that scans your hands allowing you to have full control of your hands in VR. This is currently under developed and the Xbox controller will be the main input for first 2-3 years.
Windows 10 only.
Seems like MS might have made a deal with FB. Free controllers if they don't support Apple.
Sony Morpheus renamed PS VR.
Sony will sell it at a profit loss.
Release date: First half 2016.
Heaviest and least comfortable headset.
PS4 only.
100 degree field of view.
Input: Sony Move controller.
I think it's VR only. No AR.
There is also Google Cardboard which is a DIY VR that uses your Android phone and a homemade cardboard head mount. Already released.
Samsung and LG are both making VR headset devices for phones. Already released.
Valve is working on the HTC Vive which is similar to Oculus.
MS is partnered with both Oculus and Vive and seems to be hedging their bets.
My opinions.
Oculus is going to be the first to market and the least buggy, most polished of 2016. It will win 2016 but probably eventually fall behind. I think it's playing the role of Sega in this market.
None of them are going to be fantastic in 2016.
MS is focusing more so on the non-game market.
Sony and Valve are focusing on games only.
Oculus is trying to do everything.
In the long run I think Morpheus might have the best game library, although I don't think any of them will have impressive games until 2017.
|
My Signature |
|
10-08-2015, 07:41 PM
|
#3
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
I think no unit gains enough install base to justify a giant increase in software development costs which is already near the threshold to sustain a market.
|
My Signature |
|
10-08-2015, 07:45 PM
|
#4
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
Nice information K.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
10-08-2015, 08:14 PM
|
#5
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
tenser. Good point. Maybe that's why it seems ms is focusing on businesses instead of games.
|
My Signature |
|
10-08-2015, 09:54 PM
|
#6
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
I can see VR headsets being used in certain financial aspects such as the educational fields but for the most part it still feels "gimmicky." As for actual consumer use, the average consumer didn't want to wear glasses for 3D TVs, I don't think they'll want something even more isolating and expensive as goggles. The only real consumer media usage I can see is amusement park attractions, places like Disney Land or Universal Studios.
As for gaming, it might get a foot hold in PC gaming where independant developers can sustain pandering to niche markets. If so than Valve's Vive can potentially become the only gaming VR headset to be sustainable.
|
My Signature |
|
10-08-2015, 10:43 PM
|
#7
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
I could see them being used for porn... I'd give it a try.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
10-08-2015, 11:09 PM
|
#8
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
I have Google cardboard. It's wicked cheap and pretty cool.
Since you can get VR apps off Google play store, there's quite a bit you can get for free. Roller coaster simulators, short horror games, and even a demo for an iron man meets starfox game called Vanguard V.
Fortunately, money grubbing ftp devs haven't cluttered it all up with typical mobile garbage apps.
Alas, it only does phone stuff. What I really wanna try is the Vive. Morpheus and Rift sound pretty cool, too.
Hololens is neat and all, but augmented reality seems kind of lame to me.
|
|
|
10-09-2015, 01:43 AM
|
#9
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
Which device will have the best porn?
|
My Signature |
|
10-09-2015, 02:49 AM
|
#10
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong
Which device will have the best porn?
|
Pretty sure the rift would be the best bet for that.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
10-09-2015, 10:59 AM
|
#11
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong
Which device will have the best porn?
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13
Pretty sure the rift would be the best bet for that.
|
I think the Rift and the Vive for sure.
Morpheus might have all the Japanese stuff, though.
|
|
|
10-11-2015, 12:21 PM
|
#12
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVjFOwyy06g"]VR Porn Reactions on Oculus From Old People - YouTube[/ame]
|
My Signature |
|
01-16-2016, 12:58 PM
|
#13
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens

I was at Facebook and got to try Samsung's smart phone VR. It was very impressive. Worked almost perfect except 1. The framerate was too low and caused motion sickness. I'm highly susceptible to this so might not be a deal breaker for you, but it was for me. 2. There is an option to use the camera to project the real world in the VR but the depth was off. Everything appeared a foot too close. 3. The demo was dumb. You were in an underwater cartoon sea with fish, submarines and torpedoes floating by. Boring demo but the VR part was very realistic. They are available now and cost $100-200.
It was Facebook so they also had Oculus demos but too long of a wait - days.
|
My Signature |
|
01-16-2016, 02:15 PM
|
#14
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
|
|
|
05-15-2016, 10:10 PM
|
#16
|
|
|
Re: Microsoft Hololens
Well now there's an onion in the ointment. I'm guessing steps will be made to have some sort of measure put in place that certain goggles will have exclusives.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.
|