Well put George.
I hope they dont rid of MAME altogether, it would remove my interest in the organisation completely (I cant remember the last time I saw an original cab). Having said that, I can understand why if that were to happen. Its pleasing to know that TG is now in good and capable hands, whatever path they happen to take.
This. I would have to drive 10+ hours to even have a chance to find any semblance of an arcade near me and machines here are basically non existant. MAME is the the only thing that allows me to play and compete on Arcade titles. I would never say Arcade and MAME submissions are equal and should be treated as such, but I believe MAME definitely has its place.
I'm excited to see what the new ownership will mean for TGI and us gamers.
Personally, i dont think TwinGalaxies is the greatest record keeper. RU Is definitely a lot better and more pinpoint precise at how the scores are observed. If TwinGalaxies gets rid of the scores, RU will definitely be the greatest place to set records for now, forever and into the millenium beyond!
Personally, i dont think TwinGalaxies is the greatest record keeper. RU Is definitely a lot better and more pinpoint precise at how the scores are observed. If TwinGalaxies gets rid of the scores, RU will definitely be the greatest place to set records for now, forever and into the millenium beyond!
TG is a joke and always have been,I dont know why guinness always considered TG the main authority on Video Game scores.When I joined refs had there fav players and freinds and if you beat one of thier scores YOU became a target for getting banned from the site or getting your scores removed or NOT verifeid.There was a top 10 world record holders page and a ref had the top spot with over 6,000 world records on games he prob never even played just that he wrote in scores for himself LOL.Even though ive pretty much retired from gameing If I ever set any records ILL be coming to RetroUprising to do so.
I think it would be an awesome possibility if TG Worked with Retro Uprising to be able to allow world records and feats that were done here to be transferred there.
In todays day and age, it gets harder and harder to acquire an arcade machine or even lets say a regular nintendo, where I would possibly be able to go for the mario bros 2 speed run record on here, and have the World Record transfer to there.
It couldn't be that difficult to verify.... But that would be my dream.
I think it would be an awesome possibility if TG Worked with Retro Uprising to be able to allow world records and feats that were done here to be transferred there.
In todays day and age, it gets harder and harder to acquire an arcade machine or even lets say a regular nintendo, where I would possibly be able to go for the mario bros 2 speed run record on here, and have the World Record transfer to there.
It couldn't be that difficult to verify.... But that would be my dream.
Ted
NES are really easy to find still. Emulation and original hardware most likely would never be tracked together as there can be significant differences in emulation versus the original hardware ports.
I'm really hoping that we will be able to use Youtube and twitch.tv as verification methods for scores.
TG is a joke and always have been,I dont know why guinness always considered TG the main authority on Video Game scores.When I joined refs had there fav players and freinds and if you beat one of thier scores YOU became a target for getting banned from the site or getting your scores removed or NOT verifeid.There was a top 10 world record holders page and a ref had the top spot with over 6,000 world records on games he prob never even played just that he wrote in scores for himself LOL.Even though ive pretty much retired from gameing If I ever set any records ILL be coming to RetroUprising to do so.
From what I have seen, this type of thing is what has give TG a bad reputation over the last several years. I have heard of this type of thing happening over and over again on various games. It's pretty sad when you consider that TG was once the standard for scores.
The thing I like about RU, is everything is 100% fair and verifiable. There is no cloak and dagger behind the curtain. It's all out there on the table.
I think I read on here somewhere that someone was claiming that certain people got into power and wouldn't even bother checking record submissions that challenged scores they owned or of other people they knew.
Something about scores not being looked at would be my guess.
The whole King of Kong film was a contribed documentary. Twin Galaxies stood back and let movie producers lie and discredit a legitamate score so they could profit from the same subject material while disenfranchising the gamer that was originaly apart of the material. So Much for Twin Galaxys being a fair and honest source for arcade scores and record keeping. Just watch a couple of the underground DOCs by Dwayne Richards and a lot of facts and corruption are uncovered.
As d3sride said, emulation and original hardware will and should NEVER be tracked as one.
Also about the "niche" that Rocky Rose and Seahawk are talking about, rememeber that most (if not all) of the staff members that could have been (we dont have any proof, do we) involved in this are long gone from the organisation. New (decent) owners are going to give TG a fresh start and it would be nice if we could all give them that opportunity before making our minds up.
I'm not down on TG. I hope it finds its feet. However, I also believe that the days of actual arcade gaming are mostly long in the past. If for some reason TG does go back to just a focus on only that (which is speculation at this point), I think they will very quickly disappear altogether.
I believe online is really where it's at, and will probably become the main standard in the not too distant future. Just look at TG. Before its seemingly recent demise, I would dare say the majority of scores set were in an emulator or on a console. This is only practical, and for the majority of games, I think this is the only way for most people to play them. I just don't see live playing with referees as a format that can survive much longer due to logistical challenges. It's an interesting concept, but not a practical one in my view.
Completely agree WB. Ill be very disappointed if they skip MAME altogether (at this point I couldnt care less about console tracking). However its a possibility that this may happen as Richie Knucklez (one of the new owners) has expressed his despise for MAME in the CAGDC forums in the past.
Its great that the 1up and barcade and others are trying to bring back the old days of arcade gaming, but as you say in most places its long gone and not feasible at all. As I stated earlier, I cant remember the last time I saw an original cab.
There's still a couple arcades in my area, even the one I went to as a kid, but they all have new games. They don't seem to wanna waste space on games for old cranks like us when they can charge a dollar a game for racing or FPS stuff.
I have one arcade left around me but its almost completely ticket redemption machines.
I have a pizza place in town that has a few of those, but that's all. Other than that, there are a few movie theaters that have a few newer machines, but no actual arcade unfortunately.
PatrickScottPatterson.com brings you the exclusive first photograph of the first meeting of the new Twin Galaxies ownership! From left to right: Jourdan Adler, Richie Knucklez, Jon "Exidy" Jamshid and Walter Day.
This website will be getting the first OFFICIAL news from these meetings. Don't guess, don't speculate, come here for the ONLY official word on this development, direct from the source!
Here is the first official statement from the new Twin Galaxies, received at 7:34pm Central Time on Tuesday, October 9:
"It is a time of re-birth for Twin Galaxies, as we re-confirm our commitment to serve the worldwide video game industry as its official scorekeeper and contest adjudicator.
Now under new leadership, Twin Galaxies is returning to its roots as a 'live' event organizer, which will continue to support all games and all game systems. Starting with the Kong-Off 2 in November, Twin Galaxies will launch an extensive calendar of monthly 'live' events that will crown the champions of both classic and modern gaming beginning in 2013.
And, as the official scorekeeper for the world of competitive gaming, we will continue to accept and verify world record scores submitted by champion gamers on all platforms.
We thank you for your support and patience as we re-create Twin Galaxies and bring the world of competitive gaming back to life."
Good news. Sounds as though they are going to keep MAME submissions
Walter Day has not been part of TG for a few years now as he sold the business. Sounds like he was able to talk some others into buying it back for him.
Anyways, this is great news and I've always said that if video game players want to be taken serioiusly, live events are what's needed. Even though my family situation will likely prevent me from participating, I look forward to the possibility of having the chance to watch some of the greatest gamers compete in live events.
This is cut and paste from another forum that I thought others might find interesting.
October 2, 2012
"Phoenix Dynasty: Twin Galaxies Third Renaissance" by Triforce
THE THRID RENAISSANCE
Quote
On Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012; final talks for a new owner to purchase Twin Galaxies had concluded. Representing Twin Galaxies International solely was Pete Bouvier along with Jourdan Adler; owner of the The 1up Barcade in Dever Colorado and his partner and business associate Richie Knucklez of Arcade Culture. Several hours after their discussion, an agreement was made and official documents of ownership for Twin Galaxies International now resides with Jourdan Adler and Richie Knucklez.
---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------
Patrick Scott Patterson of Denton, TX wrote:
Quote
Here is a huge reason why I'm thrilled at the concept of the new Twin Galaxies doing more LIVE events.
Here is USA Today coverage of an event at E3 in 2009.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DujHqGV4km4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DujHqGV4km4[/ame]
G4 came to me wanting to do this, but I literally had to fight the now-previous owner to be "allowed" to set this up. Somehow won that fight, perhaps the last I won against him while part of the organization, and got turned loose on it with a very long leash.
I was a background player in this one... Walter and David were on camera, though I got caught a few times on there myself. In this clip you can see me scratching my damn nose toward the end...heh. That's also my DK machine, shipped out to L.A. from it's place here near my work desk.
The result of this event saw record traffic numbers to the website, huge amounts of media attention, a live crowd that allowed me to learn my "work the crowd" tricks from wrestling can work anywhere, and drama when a power strip under the platform blew and killed power to the machine on live television. I found the problem and the crew got us back up and running with 2 hours, 34 minutes left on air. Steve got a killscreen on live TV with just minutes to spare.
We came away from this event feeling like we'd just turned the corner, and now held the prototype for doing this kind of stuff for a new generation, potentially benefitting and celebrating numerous gamers who could have an opportunity to do almost this exact same thing.
So, of course, I was told we'd never do it again. And we didn't. I wasn't allowed to run with this sort of thing ever again. And this stunning moment in time... a world record attempt on live primetime television... was forgotten almost as quickly as the events that led to it happening.
The new ownership and management "gets it" in terms of why THIS sort of thing is, and has been, the way to go.
Oh... Paul Dean also makes a cameo in this vid...heh. (holding Wiebe sign)
---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------
For those that don't know, Patrick Scott Patterson is a former head referee for TG.
TG really needs to adjust their priorities for what scores they accept, nobody cares about anyone's speed run to 300 in Wii Sports bowling.
I think they should be more selective and cut out eligibility for 90% of their scores. Stuff like this is just retarded:
Turtles in Time (ARC): Points
Turtles in Time (ARC): Fastest Completion
Turtles in Time (ARC): Points with 30 man cheat
Turtles in Time (ARC): Fastest Completion with 30 man cheat
Turtles in Time (MAME): Points
Turtles in Time (MAME): Fastest Completion
Turtles in Time (MAME): Points with 30 man cheat
Turtles in Time (Mame): Fastest Completion with 30 man cheat
Boil it down to something much more basic and run a much tighter ship, maybe even get rid of games that are less contested.
Last edited by Slime Slayer; 10-10-2012 at 11:42 AM..
@Kong - In the article it says:
"And, as the official scorekeeper for the world of competitive gaming, we will continue to accept and verify world record scores submitted by champion gamers on all platforms"
I assume they will continue with console and MAME tracking, but focus more heavily on the arcade side of things.
The latest news release update from the new Twin Galaxies ownership. Previous news updates below.
"While there is rampant speculation about the future of Twin Galaxies, we want you to rest assured that there has been no downtime on this end."
"It is our intention to announce a concrete plan for 2013 during The Kong Off 2 coming up November 16th, 17th and 18th 2012 in Denver, Colorado USA."
"We do have a few things that we would like to update you on right now."
"The website, forum and score database should be up and running by the end of November. The site needs to be rebuilt to become more user-friendly, and we want to make sure that the information is properly stored to reduce or negate downtime."
"There will be an entirely new score submission process put into place and that will be announced during The Kong Off 2 as well. We can tell you that we plan to accept records set on all platforms moving forward."
"Beginning in 2013 there will be 7 'Twin Galaxies Verified Locations' that gamers will be able to play LIVE for verified Twin Galaxies Records. It is our hope that other arcades and gaming venues will reach out to us to become 'verified locations' as well."
"In addition to the verified locations the 'Twin Galaxies Masters Tournament' will begin in February and conclude in November of 2013. The 'TGMT' will be a series of 6 events that will be conducted in six different states that will crown a true North American Champion of Arcade and Classic Console gaming."
"Again we ask you for your patience as we are rebuilding and putting everything back in place. We want to re-launch Twin Galaxies with attainable and executable goals."
"Thank you so much for your continued interest in Twin Galaxies and we are so excited to share with you our plans for 2013."
Seems like they're trying to revitalize the arcade scene in place of MAME. While I'm sure we're all for a stronger arcade culture worldwide, I don't think that should be at the cost of MAME itself.
Seems like they're trying to revitalize the arcade scene in place of MAME. While I'm sure we're all for a stronger arcade culture worldwide, I don't think that should be at the cost of MAME itself.
Agreed, if it weren't for MAME, SO MANY games would be lost, either all dysfunctional, or hoarded by collectors. The 'arcade scene' would be even less than it is now, for the sole fact that nobody other than PCB owners would be able to play the games.