Retro Uprising
Scoop This section contains interesting stories found on the web, mostly to do with retro gaming.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Scoop

Old 06-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 4,021 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Abby Sunderland Quits Around-the-World Sail Record Attempt

16-Year-Old Abby Sunderland Quits Around-the-World Sail Record Attempt - ABC News

What a pansy!
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Donor
2,621 posts
jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!jim5cents has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 36
Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36 Points: 20,604, Level: 36
Level up: 55%
Level up: 55%, 546 Points needed Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

Re: Abby Sunderland Quits Around-the-World Sail Record Attempt

While the effort of wanting to sail around the world, alone, non-stop is pretty manly and not pansy at all, pulling into port because your gps is busted is.

I wonder what Columbus, Magellan, or Cook would have done if their gps receiver broke down...oh, wait, they would have done what a non-pansy would have done. Either broken out the map and compass, or gone real old school and used stars. I guess she didn't download the app for her IPhone before the trip.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62

Her brother did it one year ago at the age of 17, I think her main insight was trying to beat her brother, and failed at it.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 2,915 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Uh, you missed the real story. Your story is a few days old and missing the interesting part.
Abby Sunderland, Teen Sailor Found Alive After Crisis at Sea - ABC News
She went past Cape Town and had to call for help in the Indian Ocean. French and Australian ships were dispatched and a private jet flew over and found her. Rough storms knocked out her mast and she was dead in the water.

Was this worth the possible millions of dollars spent on the recovery effort? It's not a big deal to divert a french fishing vessel but an Australian navy ship was also sent out. What country do you think is footing the bill for her little selfish trip? Does anyone else think the parents should have to pay some restitution or should they just carry on allowing their minor children to sail across the globe at a whim? Hey, the mothers pregnant, 16 more years and they can be in the news again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven
While the effort of wanting to sail around the world, alone, non-stop is pretty manly and not pansy at all, pulling into port because your gps is busted is.
Yeah but for a 16 year old girl in a considerably small sail boat? I guess she could've just gone old school and risked it but it seems she understood that it wasn't worth the risk of dieing to the elements or the wildlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails
Her brother did it one year ago at the age of 17, I think her main insight was trying to beat her brother, and failed at it.
No she wanted to get the record for youngest. One of her friends on facebook or w/e is also in the process of doing the exact same thing but she's slightly older. She risked her life and wasted tons of money and man hours to set a record that some other idiot would probably beat the same year.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Why should a sixteen year old girl be sailing around the world alone in an undersized boat?
It's just stupid, I doubt most parents would say

"Sure, go ahead and sail the world, don't worry about the fact that you will be missing tons of school and are probably not emotionally mature enough to properly handle being alone and seeing nothing but water for days, between times you reach shore, and when your undersized boat breaks, don't worry about the resources being spent on you, Uncle Sam will take care of it, at no cost to us."
Old 06-12-2010, 02:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
View Stats

Because, my guess is she lost her "nice boat".

@DB: She should've just swam to fight enemies, collect parts and rebuild it. I mean it worked for Chrono Trigger.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails
Because, my guess is she lost her "nice boat".
No she had the boat she wanted. It's described as a small sailboat but I haven't seen a picture. The link says the mast broke when the boat went sideways in rough weather. She was sitting in the Indian ocean drifting in choppy seas. I can't imagine that happening to me when I was 16.

Quote:
@DB: She should've just swam to fight enemies, collect parts and rebuild it. I mean it worked for Chrono Trigger.
Yeah there's probably a lot of large sharks and stuff in that part of the ocean. Plenty of stuff to make a mast out of. She punked out for sure.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
No she had the boat she wanted. It's described as a small sailboat but I haven't seen a picture. The link says the mast broke when the boat went sideways in rough weather. She was sitting in the Indian ocean drifting in choppy seas. I can't imagine that happening to me when I was 16.
You coulda just used your beard since I'm sure you had one at that time. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB
Yeah there's probably a lot of large sharks and stuff in that part of the ocean. Plenty of stuff to make a mast out of. She punked out for sure.
Even better. Just beat up 5 sharks tie ropes on them and wala!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails View Post
You coulda just used your beard since I'm sure you had one at that time. :P
Not even close but thanks for the compliment.

I think I would've been fine with the conditions and isolation at 16 but I just wouldn't want to do it. I see no reason to risk my life setting a record someone else is bound to beat. It's just not worth it. If it's like first person to ever do it then yeah, totally worth it.
I think this is stupid but I accept that it's her life. My beef begins when she needs to be rescued by foreign nations. I'm sure they'll pad the costs a little for their time and patience.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
405 posts
Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.Chuck Norris intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats
Level: 21
Points: 5,927, Level: 21 Points: 5,927, Level: 21 Points: 5,927, Level: 21
Level up: 26%
Level up: 26%, 523 Points needed Level up: 26% Level up: 26%

Goes to show ya, them kids nowadays are lost without technology
Old 06-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

No, we're all lost without technology because most of us have been dumbed down by the education system, Sodium Fluoride in the drinking water and in our medications like Prozac, and through the selling of the 'convenience' offered by electronic gizmos.
Believe me, the previous generations were WAY smarter than we can now become because of all these things.

Not only are we intellectually inferior to our ancestors, we've been domesticated, and have lost a lot of our animal instincts which helped us when taking on things like sailing across the ocean.

To those people back then their chief concern about sailing across the ocean was probably bad weather, not their own ability to navigate and run the ship.
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

I don't think Sodium Fluoride does any harm to a person's brain development.

The loss of instincts is a big thing though, not many humans have some of the most basic primal instincts left.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

Quote:
we intellectually inferior to our ancestors
Oh really? I'm sorry but that is just stupid. If we were on downward trend we'd see less innovation and that's just not the case.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,162 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Less self reliant is more accurate.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Oh really? I'm sorry but that is just stupid. If we were on downward trend we'd see less innovation and that's just not the case.
Standing on the shoulders of genii takes no effort at all, and that is exactly what you seem to be confusing with original thought; take computers for example:

If it hadn't been for the early pioneers of the automation of logic and machine language {mechanical computers} do you really think you'd be using a {?} generation computer right now?
{and if those guys were around now, imagine what they could do!}

Furthermore, using a computer to make another computer, such as in 3 dimensional circuit design is simply impossible for the Human mind to accomplish due to its complexity {because the machines are able to calculate capacitance between traces and incorporate that capacitance into circuit design, as one example}

Let's say that we are comparing the invention of the very first wheel to the modern innovation of BF Goodrich or Yokohama racing tires.
This would be an unfair and unbalanced comparison, since most of the 'thinking' that went into the steps leading up to those modern tires had already been done ages ago.

Yes, there are some comparable intellects alive today but what I'm really talking about is the fact that all of us should be a lot smarter than we are, but due to things such as those I mentioned, we are not.
To make it worse, we now have machines that do all our thinking for us, so a lot of us let our minds go to mush simply because we can.

DM:
I forgot to mention toothpaste.
For those of you who don't want Sodium Fluoride when the brush, try Tom's of Maine brand, who make a lovely Fluoride free toothpaste.

If you still don't think it dumbs you down - I have suffered damage from it myself, which was largely due to being prescribed Prozac when I was younger - I'm off it now for years but the damage is done no, I am not joking.
When I was young I was brilliant, but thanks to Prozac I can hardly think anymore, by comparison.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLYrSfnsqb0]YouTube - Chemical Dumbing Down of America[/ame]

Getting back to the girl and her boat, I assume that she was overconfident due to having those machines to do her thinking for her.
You guys are right about 'guess who's going to pay for it'.
{hint: not the wealthy parents}
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Standing on the shoulders of genii takes no effort at all, and that is exactly what you seem to be confusing with original thought
Uh no? People have been standing on the previous generations shoulders since the dawn of time, this is nothing new.
People were much stupider in the past, there's no debating that. I think you mean to say people used to have a better work ethic and more drive to discover/conquer. To say a person a hundred years ago was smarter than the average educated modern person is just silly.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Uh no? People have been standing on the previous generations shoulders since the dawn of time, this is nothing new.
People were much stupider in the past, there's no debating that. I think you mean to say people used to have a better work ethic and more drive to discover/conquer. To say a person a hundred years ago was smarter than the average educated modern person is just silly.
NO!
DB, I gave you all my own personal account of this as my first - hand evidence and I mean what I said.
I understand what you're saying but I am not making a comparison between a caveman and a person with a modern education.

What I'm saying is that the average person's ability to think has been hobbled through the lowering of their I.Q., not their own personal accumulation of knowledge through reading, which is what you seem to be talking about.
For that matter, education was withheld from the masses for the past few hundred years and if you weren't born to aristocracy, you were uneducated.

Go ask someone from two generations hence if they think we're smarter or not - they'll tell you.

So far as 'work ethic', do you think the average modern American who works 2 or 3 jobs so they can just barely pay their rent and eat Kraft dinner every night has much incentive?
NOT much incentive there, in my opinion.
( Click to show/hide )

Old 06-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but I am not making a comparison between a caveman and a person with a modern education.
Neither am I. I mean recent history when people had very little education and understanding, like you pointed out. To say the average person then was smarter than the average person now is just wrong.

Quote:
What I'm saying is that the average person's ability to think has been hobbled through the lowering of their I.Q
Yeah but you think this because of conspiracy theories. There is no proof that fluoride in the water effects IQ. It may be giving us all cancer but I've yet to hear a credible source linking it to intelligence. There's also no proof that the education system/medication is purposely making people stupid.
If you assume these theories are true then yes it seems to support your side. If you don't believe them then there's nothing but speculation and paranoia.

Quote:
Go ask someone from two generations hence if they think we're smarter or not - they'll tell you.
Duh? Every generation thinks they're better than the next. Ask any old person about the new generation and you'll get the same results.

BTW, we are getting way off topic now. If you wanna discuss the conspiracy about intentional moronification(yes I made up a word) of the population take it to the social group for these kind of theories. I'm not trying to dodge your points or make fun of you, we are just completely off the rails here.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

DB:
Quote:
we are just completely off the rails here.
Noted and acknowledged.
Poll: ... ... ...Sodium Fluoride and the chemical dumbing down of society
( Click to show/hide )

Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Less self reliant is more accurate.
I agree. I mean.. this song sums this up NSFW.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvB-lIcHHPQ]YouTube - Super Mario RPG - Forest Maze Song Rawest[/ame]