Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
All Other Games Talk about video games we don't have online.
Go Back   Retro Uprising > Video Games > All Other Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #101
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Re: The Death of Gaming

I'm starting to think I don't want a pc at all, I'm seriously addicted to the internet lately.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #102
Kong's Avatar
 
Kong

Re: The Death of Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
@Kong- people are already speculating that if they did it soon it would most likely just be like having the xbox OS on your system and not some emulator that would have tons of issues. I assume that would be similar to what you mean about booting into console mode.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
I feel like I'd have to ask a buddy to help carry the computer desk upstairs so I can play in the bedroom.
Why would you need your desk?

Assuming they give you a choice, buy a new console or use your existing PC/laptop or buy a new computer, then where is the harm. Everyone can choose what works for them.

If I upgraded my video card then my laptop would be faster and more portable than an xbox and a new video card would be cheaper than an xbox and then I would only have one device. Several people already have computers that are better than an xbox. Why not give them a choice of using better hardware that they already own then forcing them to buy something new that is less capable?


Quote:
I don't want to primarily surf the net with a controller/phone/remote/handheld.
The PC would continue to have the option of using any input device including keyboard, mouse or controller.

Quote:
Actually, I really don't care as long as they leave my handhelds alone.
The article made it sound that the plan might be to make xbox games play on smart phones instead of making a MS branded handheld. I don't see that happening soon though. Smart phones that run MS use Windows CE, not Win7 and very few handhelds use Windows at all and that is not likely to swing in MS's favor anytime soon and smart phones aren't powerful enough for xbox games.

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

I think the opinions here, right or wrong, prove that if they did do this they would have an uphill marketing battle than they would probably lose even if it was a good idea.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:58 AM   #103
Kugyince's Avatar
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Kugyince

Re: The Death of Gaming

Sorry guys, can't finish our Halo game. Wife wants to do some online banking so I have to lug my tower downstairs and plug in the keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, and printer.

@Kong: Don't forget the cosy of purchasing the next version of Windows into your figures. That's $200 + the video card. Remember, it's also a scam to get people to buy a newer version of Windows.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #104
Kong's Avatar
 
Kong

Re: The Death of Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Assuming they give you a choice, buy a new console or use your existing PC/laptop or buy a new computer, then where is the harm. Everyone can choose what works for them.
What's wrong with this?

Are you afraid they wont give you a choice to buy a console, because I doubt that would happen.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #105
Kugyince's Avatar
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Kugyince

Re: The Death of Gaming

I'm saying there's a chance they wont give you a choice.

I refuse to make assumptions based off of assumptions.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #106
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Re: The Death of Gaming

I'm not going to explain this, it took me about a minute to figure out.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 07-30-2011, 01:23 AM   #107
Demon-Mask's Avatar
 
Demon-Mask

Re: The Death of Gaming

I don't understand. Not one bit.
It's Driver, an established franchise of games, the relevance to the death of gaming is what?
If anything, this is proof that gaming is not dieing, as games are still being produced, released, sold and played.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #108
DrunkN's Avatar
 
DrunkN

Re: The Death of Gaming

I hate to ruin it, but of the letters in "DRIVER", "IVI" together look like an M, thus the red letters create "DRM".

DRM is an anti piracy thing, which will require people who want to play DRIVER to have internet access. I'm sure Steven will get his issue with this out of the way better than I can for him.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #109
Demon-Mask's Avatar
 
Demon-Mask

Re: The Death of Gaming

I understand the concept of DRM, and it is the reason I hate Steam.
I didn't see the "DRM" in the title, it's something you may not see without knowing in advance that it exists.
It's like the arrow in the Fed-EX logo.
( Click to show/hide )
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #110
DrunkN's Avatar
 
DrunkN

Re: The Death of Gaming

I think that the arrow in Fed Ex may actually be a coincidence, but yeah, I couldn't figure out the DRM without Steven's help.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #111
Demon-Mask's Avatar
 
Demon-Mask

Re: The Death of Gaming

I don't know if the arrow was intentional or not, but I can never unsee it.
It may be intentional, it would make sense in a way.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #112
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: The Death of Gaming

I could be wrong but I thought I heard that the DRM issue with steam was just specific games that already build that in? I know some games work offline so it can't be all of them.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #113
Demon-Mask's Avatar
 
Demon-Mask

Re: The Death of Gaming

To play any Steam game, you must log in to Steam. To log in to Steam, you must connect to the internet. Therefore, you must connect to the internet to play any Steam game.
It would suck if you lost internet connection and still wanted to play Portal or something.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #114
DrunkN's Avatar
 
DrunkN

Re: The Death of Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Mask View Post
To play any Steam game, you must log in to Steam. To log in to Steam, you must connect to the internet. Therefore, you must connect to the internet to play any Steam game.
It would suck if you lost internet connection and still wanted to play Portal or something.
You can be in offline mode for Steam, can't you?
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #115
bearhawk72's Avatar
Regular Poster
1,749 posts
bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!bearhawk72 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
bearhawk72

Re: The Death of Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkninja View Post
You can be in offline mode for Steam, can't you?
Yeah, but I think you need to go online to set it up to play games offline.

I'm not really sure as I haven't used it

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

I believe I've been playing single player games on steam when my connection crapped out and I kept right on playing with no issues
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #116
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: The Death of Gaming

I don't know about Portal but I've been able to play the free version of Peggle offline. But it is basically a demo so maybe it doesn't count.

I did notice that some games have a specific thing called SteamPlay listed on their profiles, maybe it's just those?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 AM   #117
Demon-Mask's Avatar
 
Demon-Mask

Re: The Death of Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhawk72 View Post

I believe I've been playing single player games on steam when my connection crapped out and I kept right on playing with no issues
For single player, you just have to authenticate upon booting the game, after that the internet itself could disappear, and you'd be able to continue playing.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:18 AM   #118
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: The Death of Gaming

Well this is not exclusive to Steam and since Steam is an awesome service I can accept it. Blizzard did it with Starcraft 2 too and I swallowed my anger then too, but it was hard.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:21 AM   #119
Demon-Mask's Avatar
 
Demon-Mask

Re: The Death of Gaming

If I liked Steam as a whole, I wouldn't mind that authentification, but since I don't like Steam all that much, I am less than satisfied with it.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:24 AM   #120
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: The Death of Gaming

Hard to beat a game service that's free, has TONS of games and constantly has huge sales on them as low as 80% off sometimes. Plus they do cross promotions like the From Dust mask in TF2. Those features make Live look lame imo. But Live has it's advantages like a much better friends system and party feature. I don't even know if the steam one works besides being able to manually click on your friend and join their game.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:26 AM   #121
Demon-Mask's Avatar
 
Demon-Mask

Re: The Death of Gaming

Steam has its good moments, I've just had my issues with it.
Oh, and I prefer paying cash to using paypal and whatnot.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:29 AM   #122
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: The Death of Gaming

Have fun trying to use cash for everything. Gaming is heading towards digital download across all platforms. I just use a CC for it.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:33 AM   #123
Demon-Mask's Avatar
 
Demon-Mask

Re: The Death of Gaming

I've been considering getting myself a debit card or something like that. No credit cards, I don't like the interest rates.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:39 AM   #124
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: The Death of Gaming

Whatever works really. But you don't really need anything if you just wanna play TF2.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #125
Demon-Mask's Avatar
 
Demon-Mask

Re: The Death of Gaming

I know, but having a debit card would be wise anyway. And besides, there are some other games that look interesting to me. That new god-sim that I can't remember the title of and Recettear are both games I'd like to play.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modern Family CrispyChicken Chat 4 10-05-2010 10:25 PM
U.S. Secret Service Destroys Violent Video Games Myth Kugyince All Other Games 8 03-21-2010 02:07 PM
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has gone too far, no joke. RU Joe PIRATE - BECAUSE ITS ARRRR RATED! 46 12-08-2009 04:51 PM
Best Modern System EJT2012 Chat 75 04-25-2009 10:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.

» vBadvanced CMPS