Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
All Other Games Talk about video games we don't have online.
Go Back   Retro Uprising > Video Games > All Other Games

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #51
Kugyince's Avatar
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Kugyince

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

That's fine Steven. I'm willing to call DW1 an RPG just to avoid explaining it every time, that doesn't make it true. I'm also willing to call A Link to the Past an adventure/RPG for the very same reason and with the very same results.
My SignatureDisplay Signature

Old 07-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #52
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

no, people who think lttp is an rpg deserve to be made an example of.
My SignatureDisplay Signature
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 07-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #53
Kugyince's Avatar
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Kugyince

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

To be fair, an arguement could be made that ALttP is an RPG.

1. The main focus of the game is dungeon exploration.
2. You have hit points, magic points, weapon/armor/shield upgrades.
3. There are multiple solutions to defeating enemies.
4. You could play Link as a near complete swordsman, magician, or archer.

Its still an action/adventure game though.
My SignatureDisplay Signature

Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #54
samejamesbond's Avatar
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
samejamesbond

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

Zelda II is an Action RPG though
My SignatureDisplay Signature

Remove Pootis
Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #55
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

i prefer to lable my games based on how they are played rather than the specific elements in them. i know this isnt the correct way to do it but in almost all cases is correct. for instace:
random encounters and selecting fight (final fantasy) = rpg
games with hands on fighting (zelda) that have free roaming and item collecting = adventure
games with no choice of path and hands on fighting (smb) = action
this is alot more general than some people like to describe but in 99.99999 percent of the cases we agree upon.
My SignatureDisplay Signature
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 07-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #56
Kugyince's Avatar
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Kugyince

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samejamesbond View Post
Zelda II is an Action RPG though
Nope, Zelda is an action/adventure. Zelda 2 is a platform/adventure. The combat is not what drives the game. Yes, there is a ton of it, but Zelda's over riding element is exploration.

There's no game on this site that I know of that would be labled an action/RPG.

Adventure games are about exploration and interaction with the environment. This almost always includes puzzle solving. 98% of adventure games that have a degree of combat to them are either action/adventure or platform/adventure. Pure adventure games that have very little to no combat (Shadowgate, Broken Sword, Myst, etc...) are often called Point n' Click or strategy/adventure as well.
My SignatureDisplay Signature

Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #57
Zandri's Avatar
Regular Poster
36 posts
Zandri is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to Zandri
 
Zandri

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

I think almost everyone on this site would agree that Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs made. I absolutely love it. Chrono Trigger, Zelda, Metroid, and Final Fantasy are among my favorites. I'm not so sure if Metroid counts as an RPG though, it's kind of like an uber-platformer.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #58
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandri View Post
Chrono Trigger, Zelda, Metroid, and Final Fantasy are among my favorites. I'm not so sure if Metroid counts as an RPG though, it's kind of like an uber-platformer.
Zelda and Metroid are not RPGs. Some people will debate about Zelda but I've never heard anyone label Metroid as an RPG. If anything it only fits the loosest definition, you play the role of samus. If we accept that then we have to accept practically every game ever made.
My SignatureDisplay Signature
Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #59
justinm26's Avatar
Regular Poster
398 posts
justinm26 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
justinm26

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

i think the wild arms series is very underrated. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of those games. I also like the star ocean series and valkery profile. To me, final fantasy is completely overrated, at least after 7, they just seemed to go down hill from there. the grandia series is great too. that's all i can think of at the moment.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:48 AM   #60
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

I never played Wild Arms but I heard it's great from my friends and reviews. I wouldn't say it's underrated, I think it got overshadowed by FF7. All the reviews I read were praising it and there were no big complaints(just minor ones about puzzles). I wish I tried it back when it was new, I doubt I ever will now unless RU gets it some day.

I liked Star Ocean too but I never got into as much as other RPGs for some reason. One thing that stands out in my mind about it was all the details they put into the game. Seemed like a good effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm26 View Post
To me, final fantasy is completely overrated, at least after 7, they just seemed to go down hill from there.
I agree that final fantasy in general is way overrated. It's cool and all but it's not without its faults(some major imo). As for the FF games after 7 I'd suggest you play 9 if you haven't already. I hated 8 but 9 was cool. It felt like a step in the right direction. Then 10 came along and shattered that dream(again, imo).
My SignatureDisplay Signature
Old 10-08-2009, 02:20 AM   #61
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

nine was the only post 6 ff i remotely liked
My SignatureDisplay Signature
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 10-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #62
Zandri's Avatar
Regular Poster
36 posts
Zandri is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to Zandri
 
Zandri

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

@Dudebro:
I know that Metroid and Zelda aren't really RPGs, but I like to think of them that way. You travel around, picking up different weapons and upgrades allowing you to progress further in the game. They're kinda like genre hybrids to me.
As for the Final Fantasy mumbo jumbo, my brother absolutely hated 9. I loved it. I have loved every Final Fantasy game I've ever played, except for Crystal Chronicles...which, even though, was still fun at the beginning. But I really like 7, and I think that was one of the best ever made. 8 was another great one. But if I HAD to agree with Dude, I would say that 10 was one of the worst. I am anxiously waiting for 13 though
Old 10-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #63
justinm26's Avatar
Regular Poster
398 posts
justinm26 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
justinm26

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I agree that final fantasy in general is way overrated. It's cool and all but it's not without its faults(some major imo). As for the FF games after 7 I'd suggest you play 9 if you haven't already. I hated 8 but 9 was cool. It felt like a step in the right direction. Then 10 came along and shattered that dream(again, imo).
I played 9 and didn't really care for it. now that i'm older tho if i can find a copy of it i'll give it another shot. i hated 8 as well. I didn't think 10 was extremely awful but there were definately parts of it i did not enjoy. for example i thought the voice acting was horrendous and i hated that sports mini game that was on it, i can't remember what it was called but it dealt with the wakka character.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #64
samejamesbond's Avatar
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
samejamesbond

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

My opinion of the Final Fantasy Games (I-X):

I - Good gameplay, unique "team selection", very replayable.
II - Unique classless gameplay, but often you get lost. Least Favorite Fantasy.
III - Multi-class system does overcome cliche plot, most difficult fantasy.
IV - Excelent Plot, I got shocked every time I play it.
V - Improved III Multi-class system, very customizable. Good plot.
VI - Best cast of characters, excelent magic system, and there's Kefka (need I say more).
VII - Materia is a unique magc system (a little broken), Horrible lead however. (At least there's Barret and Vincent)
VIII - Unique love story, the most customizable fantasy. Favorite Fantasy.
IX - Excelent throw back to the class system. Vivi's story is very touching.
X - Best plot in franchise, but worst gameplay.
My SignatureDisplay Signature

Remove Pootis
Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #65
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

VII - Materia is a unique magc system (a little broken), Horrible lead however. (At least there's Barret and Vincent) - I don't think horrible is the right word, he is the most popular FF character of all time after all. Also you forgot cid, he's much more interesting/cool than Vincent.
VIII - Unique love story, the most customizable fantasy - yeah it's customizable if you cripple your ability to actually use the magic you draw. I guess it's cool if you love pointless farming.
X - Best plot in franchise - wow really?
My SignatureDisplay Signature
Old 10-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #66
samejamesbond's Avatar
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
samejamesbond

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
VII - Materia is a unique magc system (a little broken), Horrible lead however. (At least there's Barret and Vincent) - I don't think horrible is the right word, he is the most popular FF character of all time after all. Also you forgot cid, he's much more interesting/cool than Vincent.
VIII - Unique love story, the most customizable fantasy - yeah it's customizable if you cripple your ability to actually use the magic you draw. I guess it's cool if you love pointless farming.
X - Best plot in franchise - wow really?
Forgot about Cid, he rocks too. (Catchphrase: @#$%$)

I don't mind level grinding, I guess that's why I like VIII so much.

X did have the best plot (to me), very emotionally charged for me.:
( Click to show/hide )
Tidus disappering with Yuna saying "I love you" nearly made me cry.


In X everyone acted like real people, they all cared about one another deeply
I mean, "Jecht is Sin" made me drop my mouth. It was very well done.

Still had the worst gameplay.

Last edited by samejamesbond; 10-08-2009 at 08:48 PM..
My SignatureDisplay Signature

Remove Pootis
Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #67
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

Best plot over all the other FF games is a bold claim. I think many of the others had excellent stories and characters.
My SignatureDisplay Signature
Old 10-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #68
samejamesbond's Avatar
Regular Poster
5,191 posts
samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!samejamesbond has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
samejamesbond

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
Best plot over all the other FF games is a bold claim. I think many of the others had excellent stories and characters.
Don't get me wrong, IV, VI, and VIII all had a better cast.

But X had a truely epic plot. Watch the cutscenes.
(Look past the aweful dubbing and acting)
My SignatureDisplay Signature

Remove Pootis
Old 10-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #69
DoctorRyanB1's Avatar
Regular Poster
213 posts
DoctorRyanB1 is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
DoctorRyanB1

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

Final Fantasy 12 gets burned for its plot being just a vehicle to carry 10 million dollar cutscenes, but I for one actually enjoyed it.
My SignatureDisplay Signature

For more on my journey visit: http://doctorryanb1.blogspot.com/
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #70
Zandri's Avatar
Regular Poster
36 posts
Zandri is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to Zandri
 
Zandri

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

I was first extremely angry at Final Fantasy 12 for removing the turn-based battle system. But as I played more through it, I got used to it, and I really like the game. Even though I'm stuck on a boss...
Old 10-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #71
DAMGOOD's Avatar
New Poster
5 posts
DAMGOOD is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
 
DAMGOOD

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

Virtual Hydlide for sega saturn............ just kidding Panzer Dragoon saga or tales of vespira.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #72
willmadude's Avatar
Regular Poster
17 posts
willmadude is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Send a message via Yahoo to willmadude
 
willmadude

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

i enjoy most of the final fatasy series but also the breath of fire's zelda's good just played it to much
Old 10-13-2009, 03:17 AM   #73
TrakMastaTom's Avatar
Regular Poster
2,265 posts
TrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just rightTrakMastaTom is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to TrakMastaTom
 
TrakMastaTom

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

I'm playing an RPG right now!

Kingdom Hearts 2. I am not very far, but I don't think I like it nearly as much as the first.
My SignatureDisplay Signature
TMT Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #74
Jerrycuff's Avatar
Regular Poster
42 posts
Jerrycuff play's well with othersJerrycuff play's well with others
View Stats
 
Jerrycuff

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

What's up guys, my favorite rpg game that i like is the phantasy star series on sega genesis because it has a mixture of sci fi and fantasy elements in the series which make the games even more awesome. I prefer phantasy star 4 end of the millenium over the other three games.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #75
Kong's Avatar
 
Kong

Re: What's your favorite rpg.

Thread locked. Continue here -
http://www.retrouprising.com/video-g...e-games/t2990/
My SignatureDisplay Signature
Closed Thread


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite Music nesplayer2299 Chat 36 12-10-2009 01:21 PM
Favorite Music DoctorRyanB1 Chat 41 03-11-2009 12:09 PM
Favorite EJT2012 Chat 8 09-16-2008 03:04 PM
Top 10 Favorite games Tails Chat 29 04-03-2008 12:18 AM
Favorite Console rjk93 All Other Games 17 09-10-2007 04:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.

» vBadvanced CMPS