| All Other Games Talk about video games we don't have online. |
|
01-13-2013, 09:55 PM
|
#626
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
I have almost 70 friends on Live.
|
Anyways, there's nothing wrong with liking FPS'. I don't like them but whatevs. To answer your question, to "then what" I would have to say "then nothing." No one here is in any position to change how the average gamer views games or in any position to help them become less insular and explore all the things games have to offer. That doesn't mean we have to agree with it or like it or that we're not allowed to discuss how we feel or wish for something better.
The only thing that can change someone is to have them become more informed on the industry as a whole and what it's reaches have to offer. Encourage others to try new things, to play rent, play demos, borrow, sample games that they would not normally play. I have a buddy who use to only play CoD, MoH, etc... on Steam. I sent them a gift, Cthulhu Saves the World, a 16bit styled RPG. I've caught him playing that, Terraria, a few other games he wouldn't have otherwise.
Feels nice man.
|
My Signature |
|
01-14-2013, 05:37 PM
|
#627
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
No need for memes I wasn't bragging or anything. My point is I have a bunch of people on my list and I see what games they play. FPS is certainly dominant but they also play other genres. Very rarely do I see people with all COD/Halo/ect in their recent played. When I do see those people they appear to be kids who can't type or form a complete thought to save their lives. Maybe when that generation grows up more we'll see a shift.
You guys don't have to agree or stop discussing it but you could stop being such haters about it. It's nothing but tired jokes and negativity whenever FPS comes up around here. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if people talked trash about stuff you like anytime it comes up.
I see lots of posts about people getting tired of FPS and looking for other stuff to try. It seems like FPS gets a lot of people into gaming in the first place and once they're here they branch out. It's the same as when we were kids playing platformers and RPGs, FPS is just on an upswing.
|
My Signature |
|
01-14-2013, 05:59 PM
|
#628
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if people talked trash about stuff you like anytime it comes up.
|
If there was an over abundance of any genre, I would have the exact same opinion. Keep in mind, I like FPS's.
|
|
|
01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
|
#629
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
But how can it be an over abundance when it's meeting the demand of the customers? It's not like the industry is doing bad right?
|
My Signature |
|
01-14-2013, 07:34 PM
|
#631
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
But how can it be an over abundance when it's meeting the demand of the customers? It's not like the industry is doing bad right?
|
Well in my opinion it's not just FPS, it's NA's drive to make Micheal Bay style of video games. It's really an over-abundance of Murrika. If you don't understand my perspective then that's okay, your just a different type of gamer than me is all.
---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------
Also:

|
|
|
01-14-2013, 10:32 PM
|
#632
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Budgets may be too high but it looks like sales have doubled in the last twelve years. If they get the spending under control things would be seen as booming, right? Btw those numbers include big budget messes like final fantasy?
|
My Signature |
|
01-15-2013, 04:03 AM
|
#634
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Time for depressing statistics:
7 of 10 of the titles of the monthly list are also on the annual list.
Code:
3DS SW 3rd party LTD
500k
bird (Yes it's no.1)
400k
ssf4
logo sw3
kh3d
sonic
300k
mario sonic
skylanders
logo potc
200k
re:r
asphalt
logo batman2
rayman
cars2
150k
The highest selling third party game on the 3DS, has a less than 10% attach rate.
As for the rest of the list, lol. More proof that freaking lucky we're getting any English localizations at all from Japan. Bravely Default, DQVIIr, etc.....effing done man. Effing done. With sales like that, we hardly deserve those titles.
Anything not on the list couldn't even crack 150k.
Here's a Vita list.
Code:
Vita SW LTD
Include bundle, and I have no idea which one is 1st party so I post all.
317k
cod (cod bundle ~ 70% of sales in Dec.)
300k
u:ga
ac3
200k
mk
nfl
umvc3
u13
mlb12
mr:rt
100k
2048
lbp
r:bs
fifa
gr
golf
rayman
logo batman2
nfs
mgshd
persona4
little deviants
50k
others, not all
50k
ngasp
pasbr
40k
rr
lumines
30k
ro
katamari
disgaea3
sfxtk
20k
Really long article:
NES – notenoughshaders.com – The Rise of Costs, the Fall of Gaming
Game studios closed since the generation started:
3D Realms – 2009
7 Studios (Activision) – 2011
Backbone Vancouver
BigBig (Sony) – 2012
Bizarre Creations (Activision) – 2010/2011
Black Rock (Disney) – 2011
Blue Fang Games - 2011
Blue Tongue (THQ) – 2011
BottleRocket – 2009
Brash Entertainment – 2008
Budcat (Activision) – 2010
Castaway Entertainment – 2008
Cheyenne Mountain – 2010
Cing – 2010
Clover Studios (Capcom) – 2006
Codemasters Guildford – 2011
Cohort Studios – 2011
Concrete Games – 2008
Deep Silver Vienna – 2010
DICE Canada – 2006
EA Chicago – 2007
EA Bright Light – 2011/2012
EA Japan – 2007
Eidos Manchester – 2009
Eidos Hungary – 2010
Ensemble Studios (Microsoft) – 2008
Factor 5 – 2009
FASA (Microsoft) – 2007
Fizz Factor – 2009
Flagship Studios – 2008
Flight Plan – 2010
Frozen North Productions
FuzzyEyes – 2009
Gamelab – 2009
Game Republic – 2011
GRIN – 2009
Helixe (THQ) – 2008
Hudson Entertainment – 2011
Humannature Studio (Nexon Vancouver) – 2009
Ignition London – 2010
Ignition Florida – 2010
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incognito_Entertainment"]Incognito Entertainment (Sony)[/ame] – 2009
Indie Built (Take-Two) – 2006
Iron Lore – 2008
Juice Games (THQ) – 2011
Kaos Studios (THQ) – 2011
Killaware – 2011
Killspace Entertainment – 2011
KMM Brisbane – 2011
Krome Studios (might still be operating on skeleton crew) – 2010
Kuju Manila – 2009
Kuju Chemistry – 2009
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kush_Games"]Kush Games[/ame] – 2008
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotive_Games"]Locomotive Games (THQ)[/ame] – 2010
Luxoflux – 2010
Mass Media (THQ) – 2008
Monte Cristo – 2010
Monumental Games – 2012
Midway Austin – 2009
Midway Newcastle – 2009
MTV Games – 2011
Multiverse – 2012
NetDevil – 2011
Ninja Studio – 2009
Outerlight – 2010
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAM_Development"]PAM Development (Take-Two)[/ame] – 2008
Pandemic Australia (EA) – 2009
Pandemic LA (EA) – 2009
Paradigm Entertainment – 2008
Pi Studios – 2011
Pivotal Games (Take-Two) – 2008
Propaganda Games (Disney) – 2011
Pseudo Interactive – 2008
Rainbow Studios (THQ) – 2011
Realtime Worlds – 2010
Rebellion Derby – 2010
Red Octane – 2010
Rockstar Vienna – 2006
Sandblast Games (THQ) – 2008
SEGA San Francisco – 2010
Shaba Games (Activision) – 2009
SOE Denver – 2011
SOE Seattle – 2011
SOE Tuscon – 2011
Stormfront Studios – 2008
Straylight Studios – 2009
Team Bondi – 2011
The Code Monkeys – 2011
Titan Studios – 2009
THQ Studio Australia – 2009
THQ Digital Warrington – 2009
Transmission Games – 2009
Universomo (THQ) – 2009
Venom Games (Take Two) – 2008
Vicarious Visions California – 2007
Visceral Australia (EA) – 2011
Wolfpack Studios – 2006
Yuke’s Company Of America – 2010
Zoe Mode London – 2009
And these are just the ones the media have kept up on. Add on Irem (R-Type) and Hudson (countless), both in business since the 1980s, both wiped out. A few others, Silicon Nights (Eternal Darkness) and Free Radical (Timesplitters and Haze, even FPS companies go under) and Sony Liverpool (Wipeout). The entirety of THQ recently went under. Studios bombing from a single flop in the market (Factor 5, Lair). There are surely countless more.
Gamasutra - News - Another month of retail video game decline in the US
"A major culprit in the decline in retail sales in 2012 was the lack of new releases with 29% less SKUs across consoles, portables, and PCs," he said in a statement.
However, the SKUs that were released generated 8% more units per SKU and 11% more dollars per SKU."
Just what we need, more money concentrated into fewer games.
|
|
|
01-15-2013, 12:04 PM
|
#635
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Those top 10 lists show only 3-4 as FPS games and only one is exclusive. Seems to me that gaming in general isn't doing so great. So no more blaming FPS and MS ok?
As for the devs closing their doors, it happens. If a company does badly it won't sell enough games to stay afloat. How many of those were closed because of mismanagement like THQ?
@Tensers stats- How do those compare to other generations?
|
My Signature |
|
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
|
#636
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Protip: Hudson and Irem both established in the 70's.
---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
...no more blaming MS ok?
|
But they are responsible...
|
|
|
01-15-2013, 12:45 PM
|
#637
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
How are they responsible?
|
My Signature |
|
01-15-2013, 01:30 PM
|
#638
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
How are they responsible?
|
They came in armed only with their greed, started to swing around their billions of dollars, and reshaped everything. They gave the entire industry in NA a business model that was designed to squash competition, (look what they did to Rare for example, Rare was competition that made good games, they bought them and forced them make crappy games, just to get rid of the competition) basically forced Sony to follow suit, and all but killed them in the process. The continue to bully the industry to witch ever way they see fit. The are now pretty comfortable with selling games with guns and explosions to the droves of kids that they have completely brainwashed. It's no longer "you are renting a game this weekend? you are such a nerd" it's now "You don't have Call of Duty 13....?? your such a loser." There are of course still good games to play, but MS has put them in Jeopardy. They don't sell more than 100,000 copies, because they aren't video game versions of The Expendables. Thus a lot of the very best games we don't even get to see. MS is not a game company, they never were, and they never will be.
Now you probably don't understand, because like I said earlier, we are 2 different types of gamer, and I'm not trying to suggest that either one of us is more valid. I'm just trying to explain my perspective so you can at least understand it, rather than telling others they are wrong when they play the blame game.
Last edited by Slime Slayer; 01-15-2013 at 01:44 PM..
|
|
|
01-15-2013, 06:08 PM
|
#639
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
I don't understand because that's all your warped opinion of what happened.
Btw MS was making games before xbox. They most certainly are a game company, or at least part of them is.
|
My Signature |
|
01-15-2013, 06:12 PM
|
#640
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
I don't understand because that's all your warped opinion of what happened.
Btw MS was making games before xbox. They most certainly are a game company, or at least part of them is.
|
So you don't agree with anything I said in the entire paragraph?
|
|
|
01-15-2013, 06:44 PM
|
#641
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Pretty much no because everything you said is laced with this obvious hatred and bias you have for MS. I know you're saying you want me to understand but I don't think that's sincere when you use that kind of tone.
|
My Signature |
|
01-15-2013, 07:00 PM
|
#642
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
Pretty much no because everything you said is laced with this obvious hatred and bias you have for MS. I know you're saying you want me to understand but I don't think that's sincere when you use that kind of tone.
|
So did you pick up black ops 2?
|
|
|
01-15-2013, 07:01 PM
|
#643
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
No I didn't. Not everyone who owns an xbox fits the stereotype in your mind.
Quote:
|
How are they responsible?
|
I regret this post.
|
My Signature |
|
01-15-2013, 07:09 PM
|
#644
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
No I didn't. Not everyone who owns an xbox fits the stereotype in your mind.
I regret this post.
|
We have different perspectives. I just wanted to explain mine to you.
And am I correct that your perspective is that things are fine the way they are?
|
|
|
01-15-2013, 07:34 PM
|
#645
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
My perspective is that MS is not the tool of satan you make it out to be.
|
My Signature |
|
01-15-2013, 08:16 PM
|
#646
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
My perspective is that MS is not the tool of satan you make it out to be.
|
That doesn't even come remotely close to answering my question.
|
|
|
01-15-2013, 08:25 PM
|
#647
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
CaptNfantasy July 2, 2012 at 9:14 pm
i smell dudebro tears
is this guy referring to you dudebro?
|
My Signature |
|
01-15-2013, 08:52 PM
|
#648
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13
That doesn't even come remotely close to answering my question.
|
Why should I bother answering after reading your bias theory? Nothing I say will make a difference and I'd be wasting my time. Like I said I regret asking you to elaborate. I should've known better from past experiences with this subject, my bad.
@Wolfman- Yes. I am the only Dudebro on the internet.
|
My Signature |
|
01-15-2013, 09:00 PM
|
#649
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
lol the only dudebro on the internet
|
My Signature |
|
01-15-2013, 09:37 PM
|
#650
|
|
|
Re: The Death of Gaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
Why should I bother answering after reading your bias theory? Nothing I say will make a difference and I'd be wasting my time. Like I said I regret asking you to elaborate. I should've known better from past experiences with this subject, my bad.
|
Same thing you've done the last 3 serious discussions I've tried to have with you, sit back and call me an idiot and offer no insight of your own. Well the jokes over, because I wont be entering any serious discussions with you in the future.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.
|