| Team Contests The 4 Retro Uprising teams do battle in a team contest about once a month. |
|
03-11-2010, 10:06 PM
|
#501
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Quote:
|
Why is 1945k III so hated?
|
Because it's a garbage game? At this point I don't care, have fun with your badge I hope all the animosity was worth it. Maybe next contest we can make it rule that you have to submit games you know you can beat?
|
My Signature |
|
03-11-2010, 10:16 PM
|
#502
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
If there is a computer at whatever motel I end up going to, I have until June to be around here. Are we going to have another contest before summer? Imo though, I like these long contests and I really like the idea behind this contest. Despite the few near impossible games here, I would really like another contest before I'm gone for the summer.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 10:19 PM
|
#503
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Sorry cam I doubt there will be a contest any time soon after how well this one went.
|
My Signature |
|
03-11-2010, 10:22 PM
|
#504
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
I am actually pleased to see that steven is proving us wrong. He's built some credibility and I applaud him for his progresss. As discussed before, he's proven he can reach the last level which means he's earned more time to beat the game.
I'm not even going to get into all the other b.s. about us wanting the tournament to end because we want the badge. Does anyone seriously believe that
As for me, I'm gonna jump on 1945 and see if I can catch this crazy kid.
|
My Signature |
|
Proud member of the GRUMPY OLD MEN!

03-11-2010, 10:22 PM
|
#505
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
as long as there isn't one over summer. I would hope for soon or September. I think we need to downsize teams a bit, and maybe add a fifth team. I also thought it would be a cool idea to have some sort of draft amongst the teams where each team winds up swapping a couple of players around.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 10:23 PM
|
#506
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Quote:
|
I think we need to downsize teams a bit, and maybe add a fifth team.
|
Have you been paying attention at all? We have a hard enough time with inactives as it is.
|
My Signature |
|
03-11-2010, 10:24 PM
|
#507
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanc24
I am actually pleased to see that steven is proving us wrong. He's built some credibility and I applaud him for his progresss. As discussed before, he's proven he can reach the last level which means he's earned more time to beat the game.
I'm not even going to get into all the other b.s. about us wanting the tournament to end because we want the badge. Does anyone seriously believe that
As for me, I'm gonna jump on 1945 and see if I can catch this crazy kid.
|
Seriously tanc, thank you.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
03-11-2010, 10:24 PM
|
#508
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
that's why downsizing to like 5 or 6 players would be good.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 10:32 PM
|
#509
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
I knew you could do it Steven. Go for the gold!!!
I'll try my best, but you may get there first. 
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
03-11-2010, 10:35 PM
|
#510
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
I actually had an idea for running a fifth "team". It wouldn't run like the teams we have now though.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 10:36 PM
|
#511
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
I've been avoiding stepping into this whole thing but I feel it's getting out of hand now, so I'll just say my spiel.....
I think everyone needs to chill out for a bit. This friendly competition has become an angry battle to the death.
This goes for my team too.
I know I've said on the GOM team board that this game is hard, maybe impossible. That's no reason to demand that the game be pulled ASAP just because we can't beat it. Battletoads was hard, and even though I was the one who ended up beating it, quite a few of us made progress on it.
The same principle applies here. I'll admit, a bullet rain shooter is different than a platformer/beat em up. But you know, the basic principle of memorization and practice still applies. You can't expect to beat the game right away. You've got to get good at it. I know this seems different because it's an AC game, and inherently unfair, but that's the name of the game. In the arcade era of the 80's/90's you couldn't just go to the operator and get the game set to an easier difficulty, you'd get laughed out of the arcade.
If you couldn't win, you couldn't win. The only choice was to keep playing, or give up.
Now, with this contest, same thing.
Besides, surely not everyone's future happiness in life is tied up onto the outcome of this contest? Come on. I'm sure we don't come to Retrouprising just because we want to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that you're the best. Of course there's something to that, that's why there are high scores. But I'm sure you mainly come here to play games, and to talk with other players about gaming stuff.
Of course there is a point where trying for it becomes unhealthy. The aforementioned Billy Mitchell comes to mind. But you know what? He just lost his high score this week to a plastic surgeon.
New Donkey Kong Champ Crowned
If you don't like 1945k III, then simply don't play it.
Myself, I personally think that it's trash. It's so uninspired, as if the creators played one round of Battle Garegga and decided they knew everything about making a manic shooter. I really don't think I'll ever play it again after this contest.
There are 1000's of other games on RU that are more fun to get your game on.
Of course whether or not this contest should end is up to Kong. But, steven looks like he'll beat it soon, so really this whole issue is becoming a moot point. And if he doesn't, again, it's up to Kong to decide whether to end this.
In short, everyone chill out! There will be more contests. It's not the end of the world.
Sorry for my long speech, I tend to do that XD.
Now go read that article and go laugh at poor old Billy, I wonder if he'll need another movie to beat the new score =).
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 10:38 PM
|
#512
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk
I think everyone needs to chill out for a bit. This friendly competition has become an angry battle to the death.
|
I don't quite mean to stop you short but...
It has?
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 10:41 PM
|
#513
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Well said Seahawk. You have just officially become the Silent Bob of RU in my mind. +1 amigo.
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
03-11-2010, 10:44 PM
|
#514
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
So can we agree that next contest we need to have a rule about this kind of thing? If you don't know if you can beat your own challenge you shouldn't be allowed to enter it. Dragging this out until it can be proven is annoying as hell. This should also apply to if a game works correctly or not, like Top Gear. Do your research BEFORE the contest, is that asking too much?
|
My Signature |
|
03-11-2010, 10:52 PM
|
#515
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
I'm not mad at all... I'm proud of myself for beating a game and a half so far. :?
---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------
Quote:
|
So can we agree that next contest we need to have a rule about this kind of thing? If you don't know if you can beat your own challenge you shouldn't be allowed to enter it. Dragging this out until it can be proven is annoying as hell. This should also apply to if a game works correctly or not, like Top Gear. Do your research BEFORE the contest, is that asking too much?
|
+1 Excellent Idea. I did not think that there would be any issues, I had played it enough making youtube vids of it:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Cam3ron36#p/u
Anyways, I had no clue about whether or not it would work for everyone else. I assumed it would work.
again though, we should have like a week span where people can enter their games and if they work for everyone and aren't outrageously difficult, than they can be in the contest.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 10:57 PM
|
#516
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
So can we agree that next contest we need to have a rule about this kind of thing? If you don't know if you can beat your own challenge you shouldn't be allowed to enter it. Dragging this out until it can be proven is annoying as hell. This should also apply to if a game works correctly or not, like Top Gear. Do your research BEFORE the contest, is that asking too much?
|
If those are the rules in place at the beginning of the contest I would have no problem with that at all.
My whole reason for standing up for Steven on this issue all along has been that I feel that he was in his right to choose that game (based on the rules which were stated). Also, I do feel that this game can be beaten.
If something had been stated at the beginning saying not to choose games that were too hard, or that someone had to choose a game that the team had beaten before, I would not have contested anything. However, I honestly believe that Steven chose something that VB thought could be done, and now Steven is proving that it can be. I know some people hate this game (I kind of like it, though the ending sucks), but I also don't think there was any criteria mentioned stating that games had to be well liked either.
I for one would support new rules for a new contest if everyone wants to do that, but then I feel we have to abide by those rules once the contest starts.
Despite all the recent issues, I have still enjoyed this contest, and because of it, I have been exposed to some games I had heard about, but never tried before. I'm glad Tenser created it regardless of the ultimate outcome.
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
03-11-2010, 11:04 PM
|
#517
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
I think we didn't have a rule in place because it was assumed that people wouldn't pick something they weren't sure was even possible. I guess we need to meticulously lay out everything that might ruin a contest to avoid loopholes in the future. Oh well at least some of you had fun.
Next time we have a contest like this you guys better be ready for a near impossible RPG experience.
|
My Signature |
|
03-11-2010, 11:07 PM
|
#518
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Let me guess, the 7th?
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 11:10 PM
|
#519
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkninja
I don't quite mean to stop you short but...
It has?
|
Haven't you been reading this thread? Name calling all over the place =P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
If you don't know if you can beat your own challenge you shouldn't be allowed to enter it. Dragging this out until it can be proven is annoying as hell.
|
I don't know if that should apply straight out, I think 1945k III stirred some feelings only because it appeared impossible at first and no one played it until a lot of other games had been beaten. I agree though, insanely impossible games shouldn't be put in. But how do we decide what's impossible and what's not? That will take some discussion. We can't just reveal the list early and give everyone a week to practice up a game, and see the response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
This should also apply to if a game works correctly or not, like Top Gear. Do your research BEFORE the contest, is that asking too much?
|
Absolutely, I think a lot of problems could have been avoided with Top Gear, our team was considering Yoshi's Island in score mode, but it didn't work so we tossed it. In fact it's still score enabled how, everyone go try playing it and see if you would have liked playing it on score mode XD.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Winnebagel
Silent Bob
|
Who's that?
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 11:15 PM
|
#520
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Seahawk
Haven't you been reading this thread? Name calling all over the place =P.
|
This is pretty normal for contests. I usually try to stay out of it but I'm pretty annoyed with the situation at this point.
Quote:
|
I don't know if that should apply straight out, I think 1945k III stirred some feelings only because it appeared impossible at first and no one played it until a lot of other games had been beaten. I agree though, insanely impossible games shouldn't be put in. But how do we decide what's impossible and what's not? That will take some discussion. We can't just reveal the list early and give everyone a week to practice up a game, and see the response.
|
I just don't like how this went down. People questioned if it was possible and steven basically said he had no idea but oh boy would it be an ultimate gaming achievement. Like I said, do your research before the contest. That doesn't mean we all have to approve of them, just make sure it's reasonable. The fact that Kong was talking about giving a month to see if it was possible is just absurd.
He's from the movie Clerks.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by DN
Let me guess, the 7th?
|
Do you think that would be comparable to 1945k on one quarter? Maybe if I make people not able to use save states, sounds reasonable right?
Last edited by Dudebro; 03-11-2010 at 11:18 PM..
|
My Signature |
|
03-11-2010, 11:15 PM
|
#521
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Quote:
|
Absolutely, I think a lot of problems could have been avoided with Top Gear, our team was considering Yoshi's Island in score mode, but it didn't work so we tossed it. In fact it's still score enabled how, everyone go try playing it and see if you would have liked playing it on score mode XD.
|
I actually was sure that was what you guys were going to pick. I was playing some game in the arcade the day before the contest and saw both you and Tanc at the bottom playing it.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 11:26 PM
|
#522
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk
Who's that?
|
Like DB said, he's a character in a lot of Kevin Smith movies (played by Kevin Smith actually). He basically goes a whole movie without saying anything at all (hence Silent Bob), but when he speaks he typically says wise things. That was what I meant.
The thing about 1945, as well as Battletoads, Simpsons, and DOTC, is that the games are quick plays once you have practiced. I know some of them are tough, but we were trying to make the contest challenging, but something where people would not have to invest too much time in one sitting to play something.
I hope people have mostly enjoyed this contest. I still have despite everything.
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
03-11-2010, 11:39 PM
|
#523
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
silent bob was in clerks, clerks 2, mallrats, scream 3, chasing amy, and jay and silentbob strike back. Silent bob real name is Kevin Smith
---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 AM ----------
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBlA_fsi_VE]YouTube - Chasing Amy - Silent Bob speech[/ame]
|
|
|
03-12-2010, 12:12 AM
|
#524
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Quote:
|
The thing about 1945, as well as Battletoads, Simpsons, and DOTC, is that the games are quick plays once you have practiced. I know some of them are tough, but we were trying to make the contest challenging, but something where people would not have to invest too much time in one sitting to play something.
|
Oh yeah? I disagree that 1945k is something where people would not have to invest too much time in one sitting to play something.
---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------
Oh well I'm done with this contest. Good luck to anyone on GOM who attempts to complete this steaming pile of a game.
To the rest of you guys, I sincerely hope this contest was fun for you. In my opinion that's all that should matter, fun.
|
My Signature |
|
03-12-2010, 12:29 AM
|
#525
|
|
|
Re: Team Marathon II
Silent Bob (Kevin Smith) was recently in the news for getting kicked off a Southwest airlines flight for being too fat. He never talks in movies (or rarely) but when he does, if I remember correctly, he goes into long rants. He's a really cool character, so it was probably a compliment.
Unless.... Winnebagel was calling my boy Seahawk fat!  Darn you Bagel! 
|
My Signature |
|
Proud member of the GRUMPY OLD MEN!

Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.
|