Retro Uprising
  Home Game Menu Rules and FAQs Forum Community Chat Today's Posts Search Register  
Chat Whatever.
Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Netflix

So, I got rid of my cable last night, since it was about 70 Bucks a month, and a little outside our budget at the moment, And I noticed Netflix is available for the Wii now for just 10 bucks a month.
Does anyone have experience with Netflix?
Is it tv shows or just movies?
Is there additional fees or your flat rate of 9.99 a month?
How is the service overall?
Is there download times?
Is it frustrating, or simple as pie?
Would you reccomend it?
Hook me up with some info nerds.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Annnnnddddd, just found out it's not available in Canada, but it might be soon so I encourage some responses anyway.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 08-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
joz's Avatar
 
joz

Re: Netflix

DUDE GET IT! I haven't had cable for months now and I don't miss it at all. It has shows and movies from around the world. It's freakin sweet!

DaMb! Sorry to hear you can't get it up there.

Last edited by joz; 08-13-2010 at 05:46 PM..
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Kugyince's Avatar
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,086 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Kugyince

Re: Netflix

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U-7reCTqG0&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Netflix for the Wii Review (Wii)[/ame]
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
jim5cents's Avatar
 
jim5cents

Re: Netflix

Quote:
I'm wondering what they will turn the $8.99 into?
You will have to pay the Netflix subscription cost regardless, Rogers will have nothing to do with that. From what I understand is that Rogers is going to put a cap download capacity. AT&T did the same thing here in the states when they released the IPad and IPhone 4. Lets say you get the 2GB plan, with Netflix, it would probably be pretty easy to go over 2GB. If they charge you 20 bucks a month for the 2 GB and you go over, say 2.2 GB, they will charge you an additional 20 dollars.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Re: Netflix

Okay so I guess there must be a difference with netflix and internet because 2 gigs is easily downloaded in a day or 2.
Don't tell me the expect us to only watch 1 movie and 3 or 4 episodes of Charles in charge.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Re: Netflix

So nuts to Netflix, I was just exploring my downloaded apps for my Wii and discovered that wiimc has at least 10,000 radio stations, a ton of tv and movies, (one I clicked on was streaming Inception) and even a little bit of pron to boot! So yeah, nuts to Netflix.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
CrispyChicken's Avatar
Extra Chrispy
6,706 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
CrispyChicken

Re: Netflix

Glad to hear you like it. I use it all the time, it's really great!
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
CrispyChicken's Avatar
Extra Chrispy
6,706 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
CrispyChicken

Re: Netflix

Oh well I feel like an idiot XD So WiiMC is really good? I have a Wii so I'll have to see some time.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Netflix

Isn't that illegal and you have not update your Wii? Netflix is better unless you live in some weirdo country.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Re: Netflix

My wife updated the thing about a month ago, (I was cheesed at first) but it didn't effect anything.

The key to homebrew is the homebrew channel, each time the wii updates, the homebrew guys do too. So I guess just updated your HBC before you update your Wii. I honestly don't know too much about it. But I don't see why I would ever want to update my Wii, I haven't played any games that required me too as of yet.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 AM   #11
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Netflix

I barely use my Wii so I don't know about the update frequency either.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
Kong's Avatar
 
Kong

Re: Netflix

I imagine the majority or Wii updates are just to block the homebrew channel. Just a guess.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
Demon-Mask's Avatar
 
Demon-Mask

Re: Netflix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
Isn't that illegal and you have not update your Wii? Netflix is better unless you live in some weirdo country.
Homebrew is not illegal. Nor is custom firmware on any console. But using unauthorized software voids your warranty, meaning you are pretty much screwed if it breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
I imagine the majority or Wii updates are just to block the homebrew channel. Just a guess.
Firmware updates for most things, especially game consoles, are to block homebrew. To fix exploits that could be used to create a way to use homebrew.

The new features are a secondary thing.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:49 AM   #14
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Re: Netflix

So yeah, I feel like like I might have mislead you all about how awesome Wiimc is the Wii doesn't handle it too well, alot of stuff doesn't seen to load at all, I tried like 10 times to get Toy Story 3 to load to no avail. And it seems there are some mild to severe audio sync issues.
However I have been streaming family guy solidly for awhile now, and there are boat loads of things from all over the world to enjoy. So it's a neat alternative if you got no cable. Just not that reliable. It wasn't made for the Wii just ported to it so it's understandable.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 08-31-2010, 02:25 AM   #15
Kong's Avatar
 
Kong

Re: Netflix

Quote:
It wasn't made for the Wii just ported to it so it's understandable.
Ported from what? Does it work on a PC? I could maybe use it for the streaming thing I posted about.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 AM   #16
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Re: Netflix

Not sure if it's been ported from anything specific actually but it uses this: Navi-X Media Browser - Home Page
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 09-02-2010, 05:04 AM   #17
Dudebro's Avatar
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,068 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Dudebro

Re: Netflix

Yeah I goofed by saying illegal. I meant it's against the tos of the companies and it's actively being combated(and worked around). It took my two posts to explain that, my bad.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #18
Kong's Avatar
 
Kong

Re: Netflix

You can legally make and play back ups of games you own. You just can't play the original and back up at the same time. The dicey part is if you lose the original you are still legally allowed to play the back up, however you no longer have proof that you are doing it legally. If you make a back up and sell the original you also have to include the back up with the sale, you can't keep it.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #19
joz's Avatar
 
joz

Re: Netflix

I got Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Strike Witches, Shadows, Buck Rodgers, Battlestar Galactica 1978 version, To Kill a King, Inuyasha, and Solved: Extreme Forensics.

@ ninjatia: how was True Grit?

Last edited by joz; 02-02-2012 at 09:14 PM..
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
ZedIsDead's Avatar
she's exhausted
Donor
Game Mod
1,912 posts
ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ZedIsDead has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
ZedIsDead

Re: Netflix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozman3000 View Post
@ ninjatia: how was True Grit?
I'm not a big fan of Westerns, but this one won me over. Though I admit the girl's character was ridiculously over the top, the other two main characters were done really well.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Check out the Zed Discord; the only Zed-centric Discord in the world!

Or perhaps the Zed Twitter; the only Zed-centric Twitter in the world!

Or, hell, the Zed Twitch ; the only Zed-centric Twitch in the world!


Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #21
warghoul's Avatar
The Infinite Spark
1,080 posts
warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
warghoul

Re: Netflix

@Joz I know i'm not ninja but I'll answer anyway the original from the 60's or 70's was decent and the new one was solid in my opinion. I mean seriously it is Jeff Bridges.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
joz's Avatar
 
joz

Re: Netflix

Thanks you two. I think I'll watch it over the weekend then. I like a good western from time to time.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #23
fungusman's Avatar
 
fungusman

Re: Netflix

Steve, I know people in Canada using netflicks, maybe the wii version isn't in Canada ?

Wiimc is the bomb, I've been using it a lot lately ! I didn't know about the radio station stuff, I'm going to have to check it out. Some movies run kind of choppy, anything that is really high resolution might give you some problems. Mostly just kind of laggy video.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
Slime Slayer's Avatar
Regular Poster
11,177 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
 
Slime Slayer

Re: Netflix

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungusman View Post
Steve, I know people in Canada using netflicks, maybe the wii version isn't in Canada ?
Since I've posted this they cut their services in half and doubled their prices, no thanks.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #25
jim5cents's Avatar
 
jim5cents

Re: Netflix

That has nothing to do with Canada. Several months ago, Netflix dropped a bomb and gave the middle finger to the customers by saying charging separate prices for DVD delivery and instant streaming without explanation. After the public uproar, the CEO sent out a sorry ass email about "how to deliver the best product, they were separating services". And that there wouldbe a new company. Netflix would continue the instant streaming and the new company "flixster" would handle the DVD service. The response was hugely negative, but it was full speed ahead until the stock price dropped by 1/3. The flixster plan was cancelled, but the new prices stayed in effect.

That being said, I still use Netflix, new content is added regularly, so I'm content.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.

» vBadvanced CMPS