| Scoop This section contains interesting stories found on the web, mostly to do with retro gaming. |
|
08-24-2010, 09:52 PM
|
#1
|
|
|
Looking Back: Kid Icarus
Released in late 1986 alongside Metroid?, the Greek mythology-inspired Kid Icarus failed to find the same success as its science fiction-themed sibling, despite sharing the same game engine, password save feature, and key staff that made Metroid a gaming legend.
This is a shame, as the game is an early take on the action-RPG genre, featuring a rudimentary experience system, collectible tools, and maze-like dungeons. The game’s finale even manages to surprise by throwing the player into a dramatic side-scrolling shooter battle with the villainous gorgon Medusa as the final setpiece.
Toastyfrog.com: Compendium of Useless Information : Games - G5-Kid Icarus browse
|
My Signature |
|
08-25-2010, 01:23 PM
|
#2
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
To be honest, I never liked Kid Icarus all that much.
|
|
|
08-25-2010, 01:32 PM
|
#3
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
I always thought kid Icarus was a lot of fun. I must have spent dozens and dozens of hours playing that game when I first bought it. Loved the RPG/Adventure elements to the game.
Also, the play control and weapon upgrades were cool.
...And what other game lets you run around the screen as a cursed eggplant with legs. 
|
My Signature |
|
08-25-2010, 01:34 PM
|
#4
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
No other games let you run around as an eggplant, but there is probably a reason for that.
It's not a bad game by any means, just not something I really got into.
|
|
|
08-25-2010, 01:38 PM
|
#5
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
I like Kid Icarus too. The game is great and the music is really infectious.
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
08-25-2010, 02:12 PM
|
#6
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
I always found Kid Icarus to be a little over rated, a good game for sure, but I found the controls to be a little awkward for what kind of game it was, and the sound effects were mostly annoying. Still a really good game but not on the pedestal some people put it.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
08-25-2010, 03:33 PM
|
#7
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
Exactly Steven, good but not as good as everyone regards it these days.
My question is this:
If it is so great, then why did it not sell well in the first place, you'd think that with all the fans it has, that it would have sold well, but I guess most of it's fans didn't become fans until post NES days, with a sudden jump in number of fans when Super Smash Bros. Brawl was released.
|
|
|
08-25-2010, 04:08 PM
|
#8
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Mask
Exactly Steven, good but not as good as everyone regards it these days.
My question is this:
If it is so great, then why did it not sell well in the first place, you'd think that with all the fans it has, that it would have sold well, but I guess most of it's fans didn't become fans until post NES days, with a sudden jump in number of fans when Super Smash Bros. Brawl was released.
|
I think it's a good game. It may not be for everyone, but a lot of games don't do as well as they should. That doesn't necessarily mean they are bad games, though. Case in point for me would be the Conan game that came out a couple years ago. The sales were terrible, but I thought it was one of the most fun games I had played in awhile. Sometimes, I think marketing is to blame.
|
My Signature |
|
Holy Jacket of Smite!
08-25-2010, 04:23 PM
|
#9
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
I just couldn't get into Kid Icarus quite the way I had expected. I expected this game of unprecedented awesomeness, and that is not what I got. I guess the hype killed it for me a bit.
|
|
|
08-25-2010, 05:28 PM
|
#10
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
I played the GB version here on RU, it was okay. I never really liked Kid Icarus.
|
My Signature |
|
"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much, Jon Snow."
08-25-2010, 09:14 PM
|
#11
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
The GB version is actually a sequel to the NES version.
|
|
|
08-26-2010, 01:27 AM
|
#12
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
I'm with you guys about not liking Kid Icarus. I played it plenty and it was fun but I think it gets far more praise then it deserves.
|
My Signature |
|
08-26-2010, 02:48 AM
|
#13
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
What?! How can you all be such Kid Icarus haters?!
Oh wait...I don't really like Kid Icarus. Or Metroid for that matter.
|
My Signature |
|
TMT Raps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
|

08-26-2010, 02:51 AM
|
#14
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
You didn't like metroid because you were still at your mothers teet.
|
My Signature |
|
kong on Bronies:
"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
08-26-2010, 02:56 AM
|
#15
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
The first Metroid was epic, no comparison to Kid Icarus imo.
|
My Signature |
|
08-26-2010, 03:05 AM
|
#16
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
Personally, i found Metroid to be a lot more exciting than Kid Icarus. Who would want to fight an Eggplant Wizard?
|
|
|
08-26-2010, 03:46 AM
|
#17
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
I like Kid Icarus.
|
My Signature |
|
08-26-2010, 03:50 AM
|
#18
|
|
|
Re: Looking Back: Kid Icarus
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13
You didn't like metroid because you were still at your mothers teet.
|
Nah. Just not my cup of tea. I just never got into really anything about that game, from the game play to the story to the setting. I get it. I'm just not into it. Kind of how I feel about Metal Gear Solid.
|
My Signature |
|
TMT Raps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro
I have no idea what's going on but it's kind of weird.
|

Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.
|